somethings weird here.

FlyinGN

all show no go
Okay guys, got everything done now with my amp and all. Its mounted and the car is all put back together.. Ran my new ground to the frame and now there is NO more ignition noise. So far so good.. wrong:(
a little background on th eamp I have. Its a 4 channel one that can power a 6 channel if you bridge 2 channels. I have it wired for 4 channels. 2 for the 4 front and 2 channel for the 2 rears speakers.. well Like I said the other day the bass response is not the best but I don't have a sub so I figgered it was okay. WELL I have a 3 position switch on the amp to switch from 2 to 3 to 4 channel. ok? I had it on 4 channel and I switched it to 2 channel.. OMG THE BASS JUST STARTED POUNDING ON THER REAR SPEAKERS. huh? back to 4 channel and the bass goes away.. hmmm. I started playing with it and found if I have it on 3 channel and the balance control is in the middle, the system sounds GREAT!! TONS of bass. BUT if I turn the balance control to the right, I lost the right rear speaker??!! back to the middle I have both rears. HUH? back to 4 channel and the balance controls both rear speakers .. BUT I don't get any bass response.. How can this be? So i left it on 3 channel and the the balance in the middle (where is is soppossed to be anyway) and Im happy and all is well in the world. Can anyone splian this to me? I have it wired correctly I think :) Could my amp be defective?

Originally posted by FlyinGN
Ran my new ground to the frame and now there is NO more ignition noise. So far so good..

I had a feeling if you went to frame ground that it would fix your problem.

Now for your other problem, if you have the amp in 4-channel mode and you fade left to right on your head unit and it plays left and right channel correctly, then so good so far.

If you fade front to rear and it plays front to rear then you have it right. Switching the amp configuration from 4 to 3 channel while it is wired in 4 channel mode is not a good idea because how it changes the configuration of the signal and impedence inside the amp. If all is good above then your amp should be OK, your bass response probably changed when you changed the setting during 4 channel mode and created a lower impedence jumping the power up on amp from 4 ohm to 2 ohm or less possibly.

come visit :)

Hey Frank,

Why not come visit, I'm only an hour outside Philly :) You could pick Herb up on the way...just be careful, he might want you to race a lil heheh..

What brand amp is it?

Make sure the polarity is correct for all the wires running from the amp to the speakers. If any of them are reversed that/those particular speaker(s) could be out of phase and that can definitely effect bass response.

Make sure all your power wires are good and tight and that your signal wires are run separate from them.

Also make sure your amp's case isn't grounded to the chassis or sheetmetal of your car. That is to say, that the moutning of the amp should be on wood, fiberglass or something insulated from the sheetmetal.

If you need any help, or would like to come out so I can drool (i'll use a bib ;) ) over your car, you're more than welcome.

good luck.

Re: Re: somethings weird here.

Originally posted by Audiowizard

I had a feeling if you went to frame ground that it would fix your problem.

Now for your other problem, if you have the amp in 4-channel mode and you fade left to right on your head unit and it plays left and right channel correctly, then so good so far.

If you fade front to rear and it plays front to rear then you have it right. Switching the amp configuration from 4 to 3 channel while it is wired in 4 channel mode is not a good idea because how it changes the configuration of the signal and impedence inside the amp. If all is good above then your amp should be OK, your bass response probably changed when you changed the setting during 4 channel mode and created a lower impedence jumping the power up on amp from 4 ohm to 2 ohm or less possibly.

in 4 channel mode, its fades correctly to all 4 (6) speakers. I agree on the impedence load changing but Im talking DAY AND NIGHT here. The bass in 3 channel POUNDS and does not break up or anything. I can FEEL the bass just from the 2 6x9's in the rear deck all the way up in the drivers seat. On 4 channel it sounds like CRAP. (as compared to the 3 channel setting) If I leave it on 4 channel and try to adjust the gain, bass boost and bass freq to goive me bass it breaks up the speakers at moderate volumes.

Re: come visit :)

Originally posted by darkfa8
Hey Frank,

Why not come visit, I'm only an hour outside Philly :) You could pick Herb up on the way...just be careful, he might want you to race a lil heheh..

What brand amp is it?

Make sure the polarity is correct for all the wires running from the amp to the speakers. If any of them are reversed that/those particular speaker(s) could be out of phase and that can definitely effect bass response.

Make sure all your power wires are good and tight and that your signal wires are run separate from them.

Also make sure your amp's case isn't grounded to the chassis or sheetmetal of your car. That is to say, that the moutning of the amp should be on wood, fiberglass or something insulated from the sheetmetal.

If you need any help, or would like to come out so I can drool (i'll use a bib ;) ) over your car, you're more than welcome.

good luck.

hmmm. It did this before the amp was screwed down to the metal deck inside the trunk. Screwing it down did not change anything. Do you really think THIS could be the problem?? It also had rubber mounting points so I don't think grounding the case could be the problem.. ? My Dad lives in manahawken. I may be visiting him soon.. :)

Frank

i am not familiar with that amp at all, but does it have some "default" crossover when moved into 4-channel mode? Maybe its cutting out all the lows by default in 4-channel? Since 3 channel is meant to drive a pair of fullrange and a sub it may not have that setting on it.

Just tryin to throw out some ideas to ya. lol

no not that Im aware of.. If not really cuttin the lows (I think) because the other 2 channels sound the same whether its on 3 or 4 channel. Its weird. Someone told me that maybe on 3 channel its internally bridging the rears and usually bridging takes the signal off the left speaker so thats why I loose the right with I move the balance over to the right.. ?