Sold my GSX for a T-Type

GetOwnedVette

Hey everyone I just recently sold my Eclipse GSX and purchased a 86' T-Type. My father owns 2 of them and finally convinced me to get rid of the toy and play with the big dogs, So here I am . I purchased a t-type with some work already done and was looking to get some info on what should be next. I understand I need a good stall converter and a tranny lockup??? I have no exp with automatics so this is kinda new to me but I learn fast. Here is my current mod list so take a look and tell me what you all thing. Also the car has a 100 shot of NOS which I have heard bad and good things about. All input is greatly appreciated. :)

MODS:# The engine, 200-4R trans, D5 converter and factory 8.5” posi rear are bone stock and unmolested.
# TE62 turbo fresh from Limit Engineering 4 months ago.
# Turbotweak race chip (setup for C16 /25-27psi boost)
# Walbro 340 fuel pump
# Fuel pump hotwire kit
# Scanmaster (mounted above radio)
# 4” - 3.5” Bigmouth cold air intake system with K&N filter behind front bumper
# LS1 Mass airflow sensor with MAF Translator
# NOS Nitrous Oxide system including Pro-shot Fogger solenoids and –06 bottle feed line.100shot.
# Full throttle microswitch at throttle body to activate, toggle in console to arm system.
# Terry Houston style 3” stainless downpipe with internal wastegate & 1.5”puck
# 3” converter test pipe with 3” dump pipe.
# ATR full stainless 2-1/2” exhaust system
# Ported upper plenum
# RJC powerplate
# Adjustable billet fuel pressure regulator
# 83lb injectors
# New injector harness
# Comp Cams #980 valvesprings
# Taylor Pro-Race sparkplug wires
# AC Delco R42TS plugs
# 2nd O2 sensor bung welded in downpipe
# Duttweiler inlet neck on factory intercooler.
# SPAL dual fans
# 160 degree T-stat
# Aux trans cooler
# EGR block-off plate
# Complete A/C-heater delete, including firewall plate, idler pulley and correct belt.
# S10 Wheel cylinders in rear
# Aluminum brake drums
# Air bag in RR spring
# Front sway bar removed
# Long wheel studs
# P275/50-15 Mickey Thompson Drag radials still like new
# P235/60-15 BFG T/A’s up front
# 4 Autometer gauges: Volts & Boost in dash… Oil PSI &Temp in console
# Raised console armrest
# An additional Turotweak Chip burned for methanol

A few more things. I need a street chip, I have no BOV on my intake pipe, and would like to run a tial, or is venting bad on these cars???.... I know I need a meth kit or alc, and im not a fan of duel exhaust, any suggestions on that???

Attachments

• joshttype2 (600 x 399).jpg
    joshttype2 (600 x 399).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 243
  • joshttype6 (576 x 432).jpg
    joshttype6 (576 x 432).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 219
That's a weird combo. The things that catch my eye are TE62, stock converter, 83 inj, nitrous. I think you're on the right path. Sell the nitrous kit, get a 3200-3400 lockup converter. Everything else looks ok. As you said, you'll probably want alky soon too.

good move

well you have definatly stepped up in the world or performance cars, I may be biased for sure. Nice car and color, that car is out of texas i think.

Nice ride and killer color. Congratulations and welcome aboard. You are in the right place for support that is for sure.

Looks like you have all the go fast parts. Stay off that nitrous button untill you understand your car. Learn about knock and how to tune your motor or you will be replacing head gaskets very quickly. Always run good fuel, or get a alky kit. Most important to run good fuel or alky.

Learn to tune, tune, tune. You have all the goodies to go fast. Do a seach on knock and read. That will get you to where you want to go.

I would suggest dropping the boost back untill you understand how to tune.

Biggest mistake is to get one of these carss and run big boost before you know how to monitor you engine. Start slow and ease into it.........

Good luck! Nice car!

Dennis

roger that!

John Larkin said:
That's a weird combo. The things that catch my eye are TE62, stock converter, 83 inj, nitrous. I think you're on the right path. Sell the nitrous kit, get a 3200-3400 lockup converter. Everything else looks ok. As you said, you'll probably want alky soon too.

I agree

converter would be where to spend the money.

your close...

Converter, maybe trans, see if it holds up. Like stated above learn the car/tune before you push it too much. Then: front mount intercooler, alky and put that other O2 bung to good use(wide band) ;)
Leave the NOS for looks :biggrin:

I have an '87 GN and a AWD '93 Talon TSi as my wintercar.

Do a search on this site about BOV's most will say that you don't need one - my stock turbo was fine after 110k miles and my TE-44 has been fine for another 30k without an BOV.

Others swear by them so it is one of those "do it if you wan't too but you don't have to" things.

Why do you not like dual exhaust? Vendors like Cotton's etc. offer a "single shot" exhaust but from what I have heard (literally) they can be loud.

GN's/turbo regals are like DSM's, fairly easy to upgrade but can be finicky without a proper tune.

Hey thanks for all teh advice guys, alot of you said do a knock search etc.. Well I am very familiar with turbo cars so I dont need help in that area however what is a good program to tune with for these cars, I have been hearing alot about a FAST comp, could someone explain that a little more or link me to another thread. And one more thing do I want a lock up tc or a non lock up???

Yep, definately on the right path... Get that converter, turn the boost down, and run it a little rich to start... O y'eah get rid of the baby bottle, and a sippy cup... :eek:

Idea!!!

Sell the nitrous to a small block chevy/ford guy. Alcohol and a TurboTweek chip, good 3200 stall...Then like the old saying goes "Get in, sit down, shut up , and Hang On!!!! Good Luck (should find cobras tasty, like chicken).

Nothing wrong with spraying a V6 along as everything is in tune. Talk to the previous owner about the nitrious system and get some input before you spray it on a high boost setting. People will tell you alot of things about nitrous but mostly wives tales..As mentioned in a previous post you may want to upgrade the stall converter to a 3000-3400 nl or lu depending on car usage. good luck :D

You'll want a lockup tc if it's going to see street time so your gas mileage doesn't suffer and you don't create too much heat wearing out parts prematurely.

I like the 9/11 bruce toelle convertors, they spool up quick and you can lock the convertor at WOT. There are many convertors out there, find the one you want and make sure that the convertor can handle power to be locked up.
As far as a tuning tool, Eric Marshalls chips are cheap and you can adjust your fueling and timing in different gears. He can set the convertor to lockup at WOT at any MPH you wish. His site is in my signature.

Looks alot like my 87 charcoal car, NIIIIICE RIDE MAN.

BW

looks good!! Congrats!! I too steped up from a 1st gen DSM to a TR. Never looked back.. Keep us posted..