Should I complain to GM?

BJM

I normally fix things as they break and pay for it myself without complaint. However my 97 Bonneville just broke a front spring while sitting in my driveway. Its a strut type suspension so the spring is entirely above the tire. It broke about 2 coils up and dropped down under the spring perch and stabbed into the tire. Upon trying to move the car it sounded like a wheel bearing was being crushed. The springs now pointy end carved a tire destroying gash into my almost new Michelin tire. The really stiff sway bar on that car kept the car nearly level and did not show an obvious sag, so from the outside the car looked almost normal.

Examining the break, the spring has a textbook 45 degree shear failure. A crack appears to have propogated from the inner portion of the spring out to the outside. The flaw was therefore not due to something cutting or knicking the outside of the spring. It must have been a material flaw or manufacturing flaw. The springs are not even rusty, just dirty.

On my last trip before the failure I was on a 4 hour highway drive and highway speeds. The failure would have sliced open my tire at speed and the results could have been horrendous.

My experience is that GM designs springs with small wire and few coils therefore ensuring slow but sure sagging more than other brands. I had a 72 Chevelle and a 71 LeMans each break a lower coil off a front spring (no danger just dropped a bit). My Dad's 78 Catalina and 87 Caprice both needed springs replaced (serious sagging). Of course my Buick looked like a low rider with its stock springs in it.

Like I say I am not one to complain or sue but should I try to get some satisfaction from GM?

Has anyone here had a spring fail while driving?

I had a lower control arm and spring pop out...but that was from me lowering the truck....

I'd atleast inform them and see what they say...there could end up being a recall for bad springs....Doesn't hurt to let them know...also doesn't hurt is they offer to pay for it...

gm junk

i work for an extended warranty company and let me tell you, gm makes a bunch of junk nowdays and they wont fess up to anything.

think about this: as crappy as that spring may be, it HAS held up 850 lbs or so for 6 years, not even counting road abuse...GM has no control over normal metal fatigue! My garage door has "pull" type springs rather than the "twist" type, and just about every 4 years one of the ends snaps off one of the springs where I have a hook attached (since the original spring hooks broke LONG ago)...so, I just slide the hook up anonther 2 coils, and re-attach the cable, and wait for it to break again...

Anyway, I don't think it'll do you much good to complain to GM!

Maybe if you have time to kill.........They won't do a thing though. I had some kind of bar that holds the tire on straight on my FWD Nissan break. It was on the rear tire and it let go at highway speeds. I was traveling on a flat highway, no bumps, no turning, and all of a sudden the rear of the car just slowly started going sideways. I had to do some real quick maneuvering as the ass end was jumping from side to side. I had to keep correcting the wheel back and fourth to keep it from spinning out. After I stopped and checked my undies, I had to drive it in the breakdown lane @ 20mph to get to work at 3AM. Every time I hit a bump, the ass end would go crazy again, but it was my 1st day of work at a new place and I had to make it.

I just always remember that when I see an accident. Most people would not have recovered from that and just lost the car. If anyone was beside me, we woulda both been toast, and it woulda been nobodys fault, well morally anyways....