shifter indicator light bulb

turbobooster

the bulb thats under the console doesnt lite up theres a black wire (ground) and a grey wire that comes out of that socket that grey wire runs underneath the console towards the front and comes up and out behind the radio dash where radio is at what i want to know is if that wire is solid all the way into the harness thats in the radio dash opening or is it spliced somwhere ? or does it go into a connector that has a black wire and grey wire that hook up to the other end of that connector ? that might have been a bit confusing if it was i can get pics of what im talking bout im just trying to get all these wires straighten out and see what belongs and doesnt so i can find out why that indicator light bulb doesnt thanx

the ground clips onto the shifter base plate...real flimsy....the grey wire is scotched locked under radio near the socket where the ashtry is in a non-console car,inside stereo cavity....gm just pulled the bulb out of the under radio socket,used a light blue scotchlock to connect wire near it,and extended the grey wire to new socket at the floor shifter.

im think im comprehending what ur saying but still a bit confused ima take a pic of what i have going on maybe ill understand a bit more

ok gary what u said makes sense now that i went out to actually see the scothlock it is blue but right next to that is a kinda of a scotchlock connector that is black and is wired into the blue scotchlock the black connector has a black wire coming from the harness next to the grey wire as u can see in the pics i just want to know if this is factory wiring or if its been messed with thanx for ur time

the first pic shows the blue scotchlock along with that black connector as well
the second pic shows where that black wire off the black connector is coming from in the harness its the wire to the left of the pic

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 236
  • tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 217
Ok Gary it all makes sense now thanx disregard last 2 post but I do have a bigger problem now I'm not getting any power to that grey wire ? Turned car on headlights on dimmer up and put the test light to it and there's no power all fuses checked out good (double checked ) why am I not getting power to that wire ? Where do I check next ? Need help guys been chasing this s@$t for a while now

There's a 5 amp fuse (brown)in the fuse box for the dimmer circuit,easy to over look...don't replace with a larger fuse..if it blows,check for shorts esspecially behind the stereo.

ok gary what u said makes sense now that i went out to actually see the scothlock it is blue but right next to that is a kinda of a scotchlock connector that is black and is wired into the blue scotchlock the black connector has a black wire coming from the harness next to the grey wire as u can see in the pics i just want to know if this is factory wiring or if its been messed with thanx for ur time

the first pic shows the blue scotchlock along with that black connector as well
the second pic shows where that black wire off the black connector is coming from in the harness its the wire to the left of the pic

Can you make those pics bigger? I can't click on them to enlarge them. I went to change the lamp in my 87 and now it won't work. I think the socket is also problematic on mine as the pins pulled out. But I was curious where the other wire went. Another winter project! :cool:

ok just went out and checked for that 5 amp fuse the only 5 amp fuses i have in the fuse box are the "cruise" and " INST PS" and they both are good they are not blown where or what do i check next?

phillyturbosix thats as close as i can get with my phone before it starts looking blurry those pics r from inside the radio opening not sure what u need a close up of ?