RX7 Hybrids

RED LS1

I have my car for sale and i'm not sure if it's going to meet the reserve. If it doesn't, I'm thinking of selling the roller and keeping my motor. If I do, I want to drop it into a cheap project ($500-1200). I see that the 80's RX7 are plentiful in that price range and some of you guys have done them.

How deep in money and fabrication are we talking to get my motor and trans in one. Are they already RWD? Is it a matter of fabbing a crossmember for the trans, Welding in the motor mounts and making a driveshaft? I'm not sure I would use my 200R4 because I have 350's and 400's at my disposal with transbrakes.
I would also use a drop in Caspers harness and I have an XFI.

Give me some insight

Since there wasn't any traffic on your original request for info I will keep the thread alive with a slightly different route. How about an H-body (Monza, Vega, etc.)? It is a 100% bolt in deal apart from maybe some header clearance issues. The motor mounts bolt in, the trans crossmember etc. They are extremely lightweight and don't look too bad. I have a complete, titled roller I would sell for around $350 bucks so it meets the cheap criteria too. Something to consider anyway. If not, a free TTT!

Since there wasn't any traffic on your original request for info I will keep the thread alive with a slightly different route. How about an H-body (Monza, Vega, etc.)? It is a 100% bolt in deal apart from maybe some header clearance issues. The motor mounts bolt in, the trans crossmember etc. They are extremely lightweight and don't look too bad. I have a complete, titled roller I would sell for around $350 bucks so it meets the cheap criteria too. Something to consider anyway. If not, a free TTT!

I actually considered that too. There was a vega on Craigslist for $1200 WITH and GN motor already in place. The guy cut the back of it off though and made it a pickup truck.
Post up a picture of yours. How complete is it?

I don't have any pics with me but I can email several later tonight. It is 100% complete car right now. It is a 1980 Monza notchback and currently has an Iron Duke 4cyl in it. Someone else wants the engine so I would sell the roller for cheap. Actually a pretty nice straight rust free car. It has been in the SW since brand new (El Paso TX.) Interior isn't great due to the sun and the windshield is broken but intact. I have another set of motor plates I can include with the car. From those, stock engine mounts will bolt up. PM me an email address you want pics sent to.

Okay. It's a little to far away and I was thinking you had a Vega. If it was a nice Vega I may be impulsive enough to pay the shipping but I don't think a Monza does it.

Vega is a pontiac correct if we are talking about the same car. Aren't they heavy as sin. I was looking at one to throw my 350 GM SB in. If your gonna go hybrid throw it in something light. Maybe a Chevy luv

Vega is a pontiac correct if we are talking about the same car. Aren't they heavy as sin. I was looking at one to throw my 350 GM SB in. If your gonna go hybrid throw it in something light. Maybe a Chevy luv
A Vega is a Chevy and an Aster (sp) is a pontiac. Same chasis though.:) If it's an H body chasis they're all about the same.;)

The Vega and brothern are about as light as you can get. I have a 77 (heaviest year) wagon (heaviest body style) with a Buick V6 and it is about 2350 right now. That is all steel body sans fiberglass hood, stock bumpers and all the glass. If you were serious about weight loss you could easily get it to around 2100 pounds with a V6. Not sure what other car will get you there that easily. Plus, there is tons of atermarket support for them. The Chevy V8 with iron heads is about 300 pounds more than a Buick V6 so adjust the numbers accordingly.

Hell I still have that Skyhawk. 1979 buick with the v6 goodies already inside.

id work a great deal for someone........

I could use the monza guts if somebody took the skyhawk.......... its one or the other the wife says.

Did you just use the "W" word? It has been awhile since we talked. Remind me to tell you about "rule #1" as it is words to live by.
Since we have completely polluted the original thread, for which I am sorry, but I have the 78 Pontiac Sunbird also which has a N/A 109 in it currently. Need to make it disappear as well. Running and titled. So if anyone is interested between AJ and I we have a Chevy, a Pontiac and a Buick H-body available to anyone interested. Funny, seems I have owned all of these cars at one point.

Maybe we should start a new thread? We could title it H-bodies of the SW and put it in the hybrid section? I think we have possibly overstayed our welcome on this thread. Appologies again to the original poster.

only thing Ill will add is that whatever car you swap this drivetrain in in will be a $$$$ pit !!! I do like hybrids by the way. :cool:

So what would need to be done to drop a gn drivetrain into a 90'srx7. Interested