running rich

gsbuick65

fouled out 2 brand new plugs, 1&2, my air fuel ratio meter says normal, no codes, tps set a .42, disconnected the maf and ecm wire connected the ecm wire up no differance, put timing light on with everything hooked up running about 32 btdc, put in bypass mode runs 12. new o2 sensor(a/c delco), tapped on MAF no miss or anything. no codes. what else would make timing so far advanced, or is that normal? could that be the problem with it running rich? hooked up a snap-on scan tooleverything looks ok, except maf reading with engine-off key-on had 120----, tool said should be between 3-9
p.s. the car wouldn't run with the coolant sensor disconnected.

Well...

do the fouled plugs have oil on 'em? If it's strictly sooty, possible problem is the injectors aren't spraying a nice conical spray, but rather a straight stream of fuel, which is hard to atomize.

At what RPM do you see 32° btc timing? If it's at idle, I can *almost* guarantee the problem is the cam sensor is set too far advanced...I had that happen after I changed timing gears & chain! And this would only aggravate the plug-fouling problem! If the 32° is above 2000 RPM, then it may be normal (not certain)...regardless, I'd check the cam sensor. (it could also be 180° out of phase!)

I'm no genius with MAF's, but a 120 reading with the engine off don't sound right!

And, I'm not sure why the car wouldn't run without the coolant sensor hooked up (anyone?)

timing is at idle, if i put in my test key it goes to about 12, the plugs aren't wet, just black, thanks