Rules & Tips for Driving in MA or NJ

Little6pack

I would say this sums it up for both these lovely states :)
Had to drive twice in Mass this past weekend. Oh the Joy!

1. Turn signals will give away your next move. A real Mass or NJ driver never uses them.

2. Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you. If you do, the space will be filled by somebody else who will flip you off.

3. Crossing two or more lanes in a single lane change is considered going with the flow.

4. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller your chances of getting hit.

5. Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one in
Mass or NJ expects it, and it will inevitably result in you being rear-ended. (Exception: If you want your insurance company to pay for a new rear bumper, then come to a complete stop at all stop signs.)

6. A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how many people can cut in line by passing you on the right as you sit in the left lane waiting for the same jerks to squeeze their way back in before hitting the orange and white barricades.

7. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in and gives you a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to stretch your legs.

8. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. It's a good way to scare people entering the highway.

9. Speed limits are arbitrary figures that are given only as suggestions and, apparently, are not enforceable in the Mass or NJ area during rush hour.

10. Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a Mass or NJ driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your spot.

11. Please remember that there is no such thing as a shortcut during rush hour traffic in Mass or NJ.

12. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or someone changing a tire & if she is a LOOKER stop to help her.

13. Learn to swerve abruptly. Mass & NJ are the home of High Speed Slalom driving thanks to the both DOT's, which puts pot holes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them on their toes.

14. It is traditional in Massachusetts to honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light changes.

15. Never take a green light for granted. Always look right and left
before proceeding. SO TRUE!

16. Remember that the goal of every Mass or NJ driver is to get there first by any means necessary. Not only is Mass & NJ homes to High Speed Slalom driving, but many avid NASCAR and Formula race fans call these wonderful states their home as well.

17. Real Mass & Jersey female drivers can apply eye make-up and put on pantyhose at 75 miles per hour or in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

18. Real Mass & Jersey male drivers can remove their girlfriend's bra or panties at 75 miles per hour or in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

19. In Mass or NJ, flipping someone the bird is regarded as highly as a military salute. As such, this gesture should always be returned.

20. Never pay attention to a yield sign. It is the responsibility of
those who are already in the lane of traffic and traveling at 65 miles per hour to watch out for you and anticipate your rapid entry into the flow of traffic.

21. If you are a recent immigrant to the United States, you are allowed to drive wherever and however you please. We're just so darn happy to have you here that we'll be willing to stay out of your way!

:rolleyes:

HAHAHA
So true, So true.
Been a Massh0le (got censored) my entire life and wouldn't give it up for the world ;)

EVERY saturday comig home from work on the Merritt pkwy in Ct, I have to move Mass drivers out of the left lane doing 55mph. They just get in the left and forget the rest of the world. Since I got my Ram, they move a little quicker ;) I have now resorted to high beams, 1" following distance, and now I just blare the damn horn until they move. I only do this after I have come up on them with a safe following distance, turn on my lights,little high beam, then long high beams etc........ It truly is amazing how people because of the state they live in, cannot drive. They realy need a revamp in the mass DMV.

On The Money!

LOL! I know the Boston-New Haven-NYC-NJ Turnpike-Philly-Balt-DC corridor well and it's just one long road of the same conditions as you described very accurately.

:)

Good stuff and so true!

I used to take a twice-a-year family trip to Orleans on Cape Cod and the entire trip felt like one big journey through New Jersey, only with better scenery. The drivers were interchangeable. You had to really watch out in Conn for the State Police in their undercover Mazda MX-6's.

The hardest thing to master in Mass was the "rotaries.":D

Originally posted by littlesixsteve
17. Real Mass & Jersey female drivers can apply eye make-up and put on pantyhose at 75 miles per hour or in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

This one needed "while on a cell phone" at the end of it. I was on the verge of driving directly into a tree yesterday just to end it all while following some bimbo going 30...no 35....no 25....no 45....no 30 again (limit is 50). I was on a 2-lane road, no opportunity to pass, for 15 miles behind this b*tch. She was having some kind of animated discussion on her cell phone the whole time.

By the time you're of driving age, life's experience should have told you whether you have the aptitude to dance AND chew gum. If you can't do both at the same time, you probably can't talk and drive either, so don't do it.

Jim

NJ Turnpike- stay with the crowd go as fast as you like if you are a leader or straggler keep your wallet on the dash. Above does not apply 40 mi from NY in that zone it's go all out and see how fast you can go without running into the back of someone.

I just let the A-hole get close to my rear end of my Powerstroke's rear bumper and then I decide which fate he/she is going to have

- Apply the parking brake - No brake lights:D :eek: :D :eek: works awesome at night

or

-turn the parking lights on

or

-slow down by taking foot of the acceralator enough that when the A-hole decides to pass, you speed up then he gets boxed in:D

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

NASCAR/Formula New Jersey driver here all the way! ;) Gotta love this state except when you are behind any of those slow people mentioned above. I do have to say that I may drive my car like its an Indy car but I do draw the line at things such as:

1.driving down a line of exit traffic and then cutting in at the last minute effectively blocking a lane of traffic on the highway while sitting there with your blinker on trying to cut in line. Bad idea. Happens a lot for the rt 46 exit off of 80 east I'm in the line waiting for these morons to stop holding up the line by cutting in which makes me late for my flying lesson . :mad:

2. Driving on the shoulder. Never a good Idea

3. Blocking intersections while trying to sqeeze through a traffic light when sitting in traffic. It happens in New Brunswick all the time

4. Not pulling over for a Fire Truck and sit there ignoring us in the truck even though we saw you look in your mirror right at the big red truck with flashing lights and sirens coming up on you. Then they finally decide to pull over by slamming on the brakes and slighty getting out of your way as if you can drive a fire truck like a go cart. :mad:

The list can go on and on. What scares me more is the people that drive like me that really don't know there car that well or do it with no regard for safety. Its all about having limits.