RJC Power plate on/ now bogging/ help

M

Mike Z

Installed my RJC Power plate over the weekend, and all went well. Took the car out today for a test ride, and it's falling on it's face when I floor it from a dead stop without building boost. Had it out on Saturday before the install, and it was running great. Figured I had a vacuum leak or something, and re-checked all vacuum lines to the vacuum block, and checked all the intercooler hoses I loosened and everything is tight. Had put 5 gallons of 105 unleaded in the car today before the test ride, was basically empty.
Any ideas on what this could be? Only other thing I could think of was I did re-use the gasket between the throttle body and plenum, but it was very recent.
The car doesn't feel near as strong as it did before putting on the plate, and almost stalled at one point when I was pulling up to a stop sign.

When reusing TB gaskets, I'd REALLY recommend using a bead of silicone on both sides. Heck, I recommend it when new gaskets are used!

Think that's where the problem is? Just took the GN out again, and it stumbles at minimal throttle. If I give it 1/4 pedal, it falls on it's face, then picks up (from idle, in drive). If I do spool it up and just clean the tires, as I let off the gas the car shudders as if it's going to stall.

My PP came with 2 new gaskets :confused: My car had no adverse effects from this installation. Maybe it is possible that you got the wrong plate?

Originally posted by rastaz
My PP came with 2 new gaskets :confused: My car had no adverse effects from this installation. Maybe it is possible that you got the wrong plate?

Maybe you are running it on a ported intake?! :eek:

Did you drill out the EGR hole?

Another thing is: Where are the gaskets that come with the plate? Or did you buy a knock-off? That could be an issue too.

Stick a scan tool on it too... check for everything!

Does anyone recommend putting a bead of silocone where the upper plenum meets the lower? I would think that this would be suceptible to vac leaks. Is it ok to put a thin bead there?

TIA
Rich

I only used a bit of gasket cement, the thin tarry stuff to hold the gaskets in place the day before I put them on.

The gasket itself should do all the sealing work on those surfaces if relatively flat, which they should be.

Just my .02.

Originally posted by QuickWE4
Does anyone recommend putting a bead of silocone where the upper plenum meets the lower? I would think that this would be suceptible to vac leaks. Is it ok to put a thin bead there?

I use a very fine film of chassis grease.
Cheap way of keeping the gaskets reuseable.
The surfaces should be spotless, and to date, I have yet to have seen them worp.

Care is needed it seems some chassis greases can kill O2 sensors.

update

My powerplate was bought directly from Jason, and it did include the 2 new GM gaskets which I used for above and below the plate.
Replaced the throttle body-to-plenum gasket today with a new one. Did find one vacuum leak (hose pulled back slightly), but I swear I hear another. Car seems more crisp, but still not quite right. When hitting the throttle abruptly, getting some black smoke out the tailpipe (indicating a rich condition?), and it still falls on it's face a little.
Thanks for the help guys, still working on it.... Maybe it's a tuning issue at this point. Did anyone have to vary their settings after putting the powerplate on?