RJC Power plate/New turbo

S2V6RACER

Banned
Well, made some changes to my combo on the stock block motor and made it out yesterday for some shake down runs. I had the boost set at about 26 psi on the boost guage.

1st run: A little nervous, heated up the tires and noticed the engine running smoother and more responsive than ever, anyways I get up a spool it up. I put on the 70GTQ turbo from precision, it spooled nicely with the 3200 stall convertor(about 2 seconds to full launch boost 10psi), and I let it fly. Car snaps skyward, sounds like a different car, hit second a little late(6500), and finish the run. Out of the trailer with a 10.28 at 129.75 MPH with a 1.39 60', not bad but the kicker is in the logs. I was only running 25.5 psi 1st and second, and the top of 3rd peaked at 26. My car never made this kind of power at 25 psi, maybe would go 125 MPH at best.

2nd run: I gave it a little more boost and lauched with a little less(7psi). A smooth run and ran a best of 10.21 @ 131.89. Logs show upper 25psi in 1st then hold out 26 to 26.5 in second and third, not really that much more boost, but one hell of a difference in power!

3rd run: I gave it a lot more boost, let some air out of the slicks this is the last run of the day. I spooled up to 12psi and gave it hell, the nose snapped skyward and I was off. Then about 50' the nose dropped down and I drove through the quarter with no power. I had to modify the intecooler piping to fit the new turbo and just used a worm gear clamp(dumb ass) and it failed. At least I know what it feels like to blow a hose. This won't happen again. I did have 28psi for .2 seconds on the log.

Intersting note: I made more power than I ever have before. I made a few changes, not taking credit from the turbo, it is a great piece, but in my previous logs(Hemco race plenum), my Felpro always pulled 3-4 % in the run (1st and second) then up to 8% in the last of the 1/4. Now my logs show the program adding 6-8% and up to 10% in 3rd. Interesing note. Seems that Jason has done a great job with the plate(Precision plenum), I just can't say enough about that.

Next time out(Stanton event 10-28), I just cant see some 10 teens or 10'0's, even if I have to turn it up to 30 psi to do so.

Great report and great news Ted.

I've always found FAST reads 3 to 4 lbs lower than actual boost. 2 lbs is attributable to elevation here and the other 1 to 2 is simply black magic. So I wonder if in fact you were running more boost than FAST said? Such as closer to 30.

Betcha had a big smile after all your bad luck. :)

awesome runs man, seems like you have the right combo for some good times

what injectors are you running?

good job-

BW

95 lb injectors. I noticed the boost is within about 1psi of what the guage reads between the 3 bar and the autometer.

It was really a picture perfect day for supporting the biggest reason for owning the car, there were no other Buicks there besides a turbo TA, I did not see him run. I got a lot of attention from others and as usual, they look and just walk away. Only the intelligent ones ask questions to learn something. You can bet the guys there know that distinct sound of the V6 a little better.

Crack of the day: "hey how many cubes it that?"

"Man, I got 502 and I am running a second and a half slower than you."

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
Great report and great news Ted.

I've always found FAST reads 3 to 4 lbs lower than actual boost. 2 lbs is attributable to elevation here and the other 1 to 2 is simply black magic. So I wonder if in fact you were running more boost than FAST said? Such as closer to 30.

Betcha had a big smile after all your bad luck. :)

Either way, that would mean I was running 34psi last year, so I guess I can crank it back up there to 30 (+ the Cairns 4 psi) and try a run. I am hearing these GTQ's run good above 30 psi.

I know you are just trying to burst my bubble here and it aint going to happen. WAAAYYY too many hours invested this year for the few runs I got in so far.

Seriously, it is pretty accurate, who knows which is right, I just go off the guage for rule of thumb and watch the datalogs.

Originally posted by Ted A.

I know you are just trying to burst my bubble here and it aint going to happen. WAAAYYY too many hours invested this year for the few runs I got in so far.

Not at all. I'm happy for you...sorry if I came off that way. For those who don't know, Ted and I have exchanged a lot of email in the last couple of years, comparing notes and wondering if our mutual bad luck and hard times was ever going to stop.

Apparently it has for you Ted and as I said, I'm happy for you.

Chris, I was just being a smart a$$.

Yes, everybody, if you see Chris and I at a event together, it would be smart to stay away from us. Our bad luck seems to for whatever reason, work in pairs.

As for mine, I am still having the stage II problem. I am pretty far from my bad luck string being over.

Should I take a chance on a TA block?