Riv T Type Exhaust Recommendations

cool4u

I'm putting my 85 Riv T Type back on the road this spring. It needs a new exhaust from the catalytic converter on back. I think I'm going to go with a 3" system. I want it to be free-flowing, but not too loud. Any recommendations as to a free-flowing cat and muffler?

Anything to free up the exhaust will help. The problem with the Riv's is that they are saddled with a very restrictive pair of headers and exhaust elbo as well as a very convoluted down pipe. I would also highly recommend opening up the wastegate hole and install a larger puck since the stock hole is less than 1/2".

I made a cheap system for one of mine by using the 2.5" pipe and muffler from a 79-80 diesel Riviera/Toronado. I just cut the front pipe and welded a flange where it meets the cat. With a gutted cat the boost and spool up picked up a lot. Someday when I get the time I plan to try to build a decent exhaust and downpipe set for this car. As you know its really tight back there and there is barely ehough room for the stock 2" DP let alone a 3". My idea is to redesign the crossover and maybe repostion the turbo kind of like on top of the motor like the Regal has. Only if I had the time and money. Eric Fisher

Send me the drawings when your done. In 2 more years I'm emission free. California-you gotta love it!

I made a 2.5" down pipe out of mandrel bent sections, as well as a mandrel bent 2" crossover. From the DP back I did a 3" system when it was on the street.