Reverse Lights question, they dont work

no reverse lights

If you put it into reverse try moving that part on the steering colum and see if they come on . sometimes the part that is the switch (its on the colum under the dash )gets some slop in it.

No they do not come on at all, bulbs are good. Where in the column would it have a switch???? Being floorshift, I thought nothing would be up there having to do with it???

Scott

Switch is mounted on top of the column down near the floor. Maybe a plug fell off or might be defective. I don't think they go bad much, though.

I have the same problem. Is there any thing attached to the tranny? I pulled my console out to check there but the only wire was for the light. I am going to check that switch under the dash next, maybe that's it...

Wow, something I can help with!

Hey, my car was actually doing the same thing. Put it in reverse, no lights. I looked at the bulbs and fuses, and they were all good. It ended up being the tranny switch in the column.

The 81 and newer Regals don't have anything attached to the transmission (as far as lights go), so don't sweat that. Even with the console shift cars, there's a switch in the column. Grab the forwardmost section of steering column and turn it to the RIGHT I believe. You will see the console shift move down to reverse. This is also a fun way to freak your friends out. Sometimes there's some slop between the actual shifter (which actually gets used) and the column linkage (where the switch is.) This was my problem. My backup lights actually came on between "R" and "N" on the shift. But shifting with the column, they came on right at "R".
I would suggest trying to get the lights to come on by shifting with the column. Take it all the way down to "1" (making sure you can actually get there). Then click up one step at a time until you get back to "R". This may work. If you can't get to "1", then it's definitely a switch. If things shift all good, and the backup lights STILL don't come on (and it's not a bulb or a fuse) then you're out of my league. Good luck :cool:

Yes Scott. Even if you have a floor shift, the backup lite switch is on the steering column down near the base of it. It's on the top side and is usually white plastic. ;)