Repairing stripped plug thread in Aluminum head.

Heli Coil.

Parts store should have it. Its a kit that includes everything you need to insert a stainless steel thread. You'll need the thread size/pitch to buy the right threads too.

It'll be stronger then the alum thread ever was.

VIP has a kit with the 14mm steel inserts, guessI'll give it a try.
Ted, No on the M&A's

9secvsix

Way back when (mid-70's) I started out racing VW Beetles. These had aluminum heads and stripped spark plugs were fairly common. There were a few different kind of inserts available for repairs (heli-coil and a couple of rigid ones). However, any of these cut down on heat transfer from the plug to the head, and on a hotrodded motor you were much more likely to get detonation and burn a piston or valve, or just burn up the spark plug tip. I'd call someone like Gene Berg Enterprises or Claude's Buggies and see what their opinion is. You may have to actually weld up the hole and redrill and tap for a reliable fix.

Thanks Carl, yours is the kinda feed back am looking for, I had heard of some problems with the steel inserts, dang kit at the VIP take a 3/4" socket, it's gotta be 5/8" to fit my heads:(
Maybe someone who has tried this repair in a AL race head will fill us in on there experience :D
9secvsix.

9sec I use M&A heads, the threads were lose when I got them. Mike Lick at Modern Muscle then put a thread insert in all six holes, that has been about six years ago.

Originally posted by 9SECVSIX
Maybe someone who has tried this repair in a AL race head will fill us in on there experience :D
9secvsix.

Brent,

I've had plug threads in my GN1's repaired a couple of times via the weld-and-tap method.

Art