Reasons for or against running w/out a thermostat

nuc

Down in the south where we don't have to worry about freezing temps., would it be better (cooler) for the engine to run with out the thermostat?

Thanks

Always run a thermostat. It acts as a temp regulator. Not only does it help warm up the engine but it will also help cooling. Many times I've seen people run without a t-stat and over heat...WHY? the coolant is going through the radiator so fast, it doesn't properly cool down. Run a 160 and make sure you have good airflow and a decent radiator.

Always run a thermostat. It acts as a temp regulator. Not only does it help warm up the engine but it will also help cooling. Many times I've seen people run without a t-stat and over heat...WHY? the coolant is going through the radiator so fast, it doesn't properly cool down. Run a 160 and make sure you have good airflow and a decent radiator.

Exactly! zam70 said it all!

Stat or no??

In addition to ALWAYS using a stat, I go a couple steps further.
1. I ALWAYS use distilled water and a bottle of RMI-25. Good for 10* reduction, no crud buildup from antifreeze additives precipating out of suspension and causing the brown crap.

2. I have a "homemade" version of the ATR baffles that block the sides of the rad off so the incoming air cannot go around the rad, thru the backside of the headlites and into the engine compartment. Works good for slow traffic cooling help.

3. I have cut off the rear hood seal, except for the area around the heater & A/C inlet screen. I went 1 step further there too and made a short piece of the dam to go from the end of the seal to the windshield. This totally isolates the inlet and then the hot engine air is exhausted out of the compartment thru the rear of the hood and the A/C inlet is not contaminated w/ hot, smelly air either.;)

My car has A/C, ft mount, STOCK fan wired on high, makes a few HP's and runs within 5* of the stat in the summer here in GA.:cool: