rearend help

BlackBandit

God loves Buicks!
I've got a pretty bad bearing noise when I let off the gas and I think it's the pinion bearing. Does anyone know if these things come out the front or the back of the diff? My Haynes doesn't say. Guess they figured I shouldn't mess with it. :D

Out the back....

The entire assembly of the system goes in and and comes out of the rear of the axle. The seal & pinion yoke are all that go in the ft.
Sounds to me like you have a possible wear problem on the coast side of the r & p. Has the diff ever been rebuilt or been apart that you know of??
Car being run w/ slicks, hi boost launches, etc?? Could also be the crush sleeve has lost it's set....

Pull the cover and see what comes out.. Like alot of "shiny stuff", and go from there.
If you are not familar w/ doing gear setups, find someone that is, or you WILL have more problems than you'll ever want to deal with.

Had it apart to do an axle seal. Put everything back the way I found it with the addition of durablend lube. Never had any problems with a rear before. Didn't do more to the diff than pull the pin that holds the axles out. About a month later it started making this noise. Also when I let off the gas enough to make the drivetrain 'neutral' (where it feels like the motor isn't putting any load on the drivetrain either way) I get a vibration. Other than that I've only had it to the track once and, since I've owned it, (about two years) It's only seen a handfull of 6lb launches. Maybe, 15 or so. TIA for any help.

Vibrates too..

The vibration could be the brgs going south..
You don't say how many miles are on the car, but if it's high, then a rebuild could be a good idea before something gets broken..

U-joints recently?? Trans and engine mounts in good shape??
Rear suspension bushings in good shape??
Lots of places to look!;)

I've got either 135,000 km or 235,000 km. It's a canadian model.:cool: Anyway, this noise started fairly recently and while I was trying to track it down I did find that my motor mounts are shot. U-joints are about two years old. There is a complete suspension revamp comming in the next two or three months. What brgs are you talking about? Carrier brgs? I want to rebuild the entire rear but have to use it as a daily driver for now. Thanks again for your help.

Brg ID??

I'd think the most likely to cause the vibration is the pinion brgs. However, all brgs, crush sleeve, etc need to be looked at. The 235,000K is alot of miles,[ as in 145,000] and I'd be looking at doing it all, including the r & p..
when you do it, I'd suggest using the solid crush sleeve/shim kit, instead of the conventional sleeve that actually crushes. This will hold the preload on the pinion brgs much better.

Better's what I'm always looking for!:cool: Thanks for your help. It's appreciated. I'll probably start tearing it apart next week.

Parts sources

I get my stuff from Randy's ring and pinion.. great service and decent prices...

Check to see if the the Pinion Nut came loose.I have found it to be the cause of your noise many times.As long as you catch it early,you can just replace the nut with a new one.Torque it to 250 lb ft.That should get you close to the correct preload.HTH