Rear tire size

RBruton

getagrip
Was wondering if anyone has experience with using a Dunlop GT Qualifier 295/50R15 on the rear. I am trying to stay in the street legal radial class which must have a hardness or treadwear of 200 or more. The Dunlop fits the bill but this tire requires at least an 8" rim and will require something other then the standard rim & backset. I am running 255/60R15's in the same tire and am experiencing traction problems. The 295 is only bout a 1/2" larger on the O.D. but almost 2" wider. Specifics are
The tire is a Dunlop P295/50R15, approved rim width 8.0"- 10.0" measured rim width 9.5", section width 12", outside diameter 26.6". I just don't wanna start throwing dollars at it if someone has helpful information of what the rim backset needs to be and whether there is enough room for this tire.

12.5 x 28 et street is a little bigger and taller and works on a 8.5 rim with a 3.5 backspace it will be close either way

295/50/15

I have a tire of this size on my 78 Supreme. It is not a good choice on a 8" rim. The tire will not sit flat on the ground with a rim this narrow. There are choices for 10" rims with a back spacing that will work, and the tire will work with a rim of this size.
Depending on how you are going to use your car. There are good choices with rims of 16" or 17" that can be a better going around corners car. 245/50/16 or 245/45/17. Your can upsize the rear by one to two sizes and the car will handle well and get better traction if straight line racing is your choice.
Hope that this helps.

Thanks for the info., I'm strictly looking at something for straightline racing, probably gonna try to come up with some inexpensive steel wheels for the appropriate tires. Thats the only time they will be on there but I would like to put them on and drive to the dragstrip. Thanks Again.