really really stupid question

Brian Harper

I need to remove my factory stereo from my 87 GN for service.
Does the decorative plate in front of the stereo just pop off if you pull on it, or am I missing some hidden screws / fasteners? I don't want to break it.

The trim plate pulls off with a pull at each corner of trim piece, it is attached with spring clips. The head unit will come out using a 7 mm socket and nut driver (I think its 7mm).

Since you got the trim piece off epoxy the clips back on so you wont lose those clips laters on.

I wouldnt recomend using epoxy on the trim plate to hold the clips in because you can always go to the salvage yard and get a hand full of them if you happen to pop one off and you cant find it. I have had my dash and radio trim plates on and off for the past 5 years and havent lost one yet :) .

Why you would not recommend it? Its only going to take you a few minutes to glue those clips in, it will save you time in finding the clips that are lost and going to the salvage yard? Every time you remove the dash piece those DARN clips fall out, you got to use a magnetic to fish for it, so my personal cars and also customers car I will glue them on. So your saying you had not one fallen out to you before "AUDIO" WIZARD?????

I dont recomend it because for 3 reasons.

1) If you break or damage a clip, you cant replace it because of the epoxy.

2) If you pull on trim plate and it stresses the plastic, the tab breaks and you cant replace it with out trying to glue it back on.

3) A friend with a GN epoxied his on and eventually broke a tab on the radio trim plate and 3 tabs on his dash plate. He had to replace both pieces and of course did not glue them back on again.

Of course I had them pop out, I was just careful on removing the trim and dash plate so if they did, I can retrieve them without having to do like you did and retrieve them with a magnetic tool or flexible grabber.

You can epoxy them if that works for you. I just have a personal opinion that differs from your personal opinion "Turbo" V6!!!!! :D .

I wished I was the man HEHE. How is the audio market there in Honolulu? Its been alot of years since I have been there but I still want to go back for vacation someday.

Its going down hill. I noticed that big systems are not as popular as 5 years ago, alarms is a increase because of people buying new cars. But CD player sales and installation are the ones paying the bills.

I noticed that too! The only ones with real nice systems are the ones that have or make good money and it generally the younger crowd and those are the ones that give me business.

Yup! True. I do work every weekend (at home) guess what I do? ALARMS! I did not have systems to build for the past year! I I guess its better and the easier money!:)