Problems after a night at the track

turboost

My goal was to finally get into the 12's so I was trying everything. The track was not sticking, just about all my 60fts were in the 2.3 range with BFG drag radials (26in). I was running a JC 20* chip (the 108 just sucks on my car) and no matter what I did I was running a consistant 111mph with 23psi of boost whether I manually locked the converter or not. I can't hold any thing on the line. I have aluminum drums as my only brake upgrade but I would think a pound or two would be obtainable. My question is do you think my stock D5 is on its way out? I had plenty of fuel but just couldn't get any more mph.

Another thing when I left the track I could only get 10 psi. Did my wastegate diaphragm let go ( it was new with the turbo) or what else could cause this to happen. Thanks for any help

pte-51 + stock d5 converter = LAG

A GOOD chip (tweaked to the car's combo & mannerisms) can help some but that turbo really likes a bit of stall. Was the car spinning bad or just not making power down low?

Bolt up a 3000rpm 9/11 Extreme converter from Performance Trans & I'd be willing to bet solid 1.7~1.8 60's on those DR's would be within reach.

As for the low boost post track visit, make sure that the wastegate rod didn't come loose from the flapper on the turbo.

Doug C.

Yep.. LAG! pt51 w/ D5 will result in poor 60' time with exception to a transbrake.. Don't waste your time with opening up a D5 to get more stall. Its still alot of rotating mass comparing a D5 to a smaller convertor. Buy the 9X11 and choose a custom stall and be done. Dconner is right on the money!

Mike Banas
87GN

Oh there was no lag (35 shot of juice off the line fixed that problem:), sorry forgot to mention). It just seemed like the car would not pull anymore on the top like the converter was slipping a bit much. Everything I did to it it would not go any faster at the topend. Someone else drove it and thought the same thing like the converter was on its way out.

I will probably go ahead and order a 9/11 and hope that my trans doesn't crap out. Any more suggestions....I'm really hoping that its just the converter b/c everytime I have manually locked it in 2nd gear my times do not get any better. Thanks

If you are just shooting to break the 12's, why do you have all that work done to the car?

I have ran 12.98 @ 108 on Radial T/A's with a 1.82 60' time, stock turbo, heads, cam.

I'd go back to the basics before spending more money to obtain a 12.99.

Maybe I'm missing something.

111mph isn't bad, ,, so did you get in the 12s? I would hope so at 111. What were your 1/8th mile times and speeds? How much speed did you gain in the 2nd 1/8th?
Also, did you have the shifter in D or OD? If OD, was it shifting to 4th before the end? Might wind out more if you hold it in D.

I'm not a big fan of locking the convertor at the line, I usually lock it after the shift, then unlock(or just touch the brake) when I want it to shift to third, then relock a second or 2 after that. I think it uses the convertor action at the shifts better.

The reason for the shot is that I got a real good deal on it so I thought I would try it out...and it is every bit as good as people say! I did manage a 12.96@111 and my best was a 12.50@113 which I crdeit to the 2.1 60ft b/c all the others were 2.3 and had the same mph gain after the 1/8 mile as the 113mph pass so it seems that the topend efficiency is lagging. Even without the shot my best time with the stock turbo was 13.01@105 on street tires so my topend has to be going somewhere.

Maybe I'm missing something, but my car is basically stock, and I managed a 2.09 60ft on crappy radial tires, and a 13.4 @102. At 111, I cannot see why on earth your not DEEP in the 12's. I'm not flaming, but something is amiss. With Drag Radials and a top end at 111, you ought to be able to sleep through the trip down the track and run 12's. I agree that your convertor is inadequete for a 51 turbo, but with that MPH, you out to be able to drive out of a bad launch. Not at all a flame, just curious what we're missing. ;)

I know with my combo I should be in the 11's. The reason for shooting for 12s is I have never been there, the track is new so no one was able to stick, I can't hold any boost on the line so so much for a good 60 ft., and I'm struggling with finding a good chip for my combo. This was basically the first time to the track with this turbo, dp, and shot so I have yet to really tune it but I am working on it. I plan on ordering the 9/11 next week. I am trying to save up for an ME or a translator+ to help solve my tuning problems.

I will be in the 11s next visit...I still have the 50-150 shot to use to help me get there:)

Street chips usually scale back in third gear. With a 20 degree timing chip, how fast did you think you could run? 111 mph would be about the limit for a bluetop/TE44/26" tired car with a street chip. Work on traction: right side airbag @ 25 psi, proper tire prep and try a real race chip and 28" tires, or use the N20 and overrev/blow it up, your choice.

UNGN has a good point. How much timming were you running? My unopend (except vsprings) 130K motor ran 110 on pump gas with a 51 turbo and an unlocked D5......26* chip with 24-25 in all gears. My car weighs in at a hefty 3700 with me in it too.
Like you, my 60ft's were very bad. 2.2-2.3's on 245/45/17 gatorbacks. It wasn't set up to leave that's for sure.
If you aren't already, you may try tunning with an EGT also. You may dumping too much alky in there.