Pro/Con: Supercharge carbed engine or go with Series II or III?

Tim Geiman

Malcolm7
Hello Experts. Please give opinions/experiences to help complete pro vs. con list.

I am reconstructing an H-Body (Monza 2+2 - don't laugh) which now has a 4.1L V6 and 4 speed Saginaw. The engine is not fully installed, but appears to be a fresh stock rebuild except for headers and manifold. No carb yet. I don't think that it was ever fired up.

Main question: If the goal is to achieve ~ 250 to 275 HP is it more practical to upgrade and supercharge (or turbocharge) the 4.1L engine or just drop in a newer Series II or III Supercharged engine?

New Series II or III engine Pros:
1. EFI reliability.
2. Avoid complexity of add on supercharger or turbocharger with carburetor.
3. No distributor.

New Series II or III engine Cons (potential):
1. Dealing with electronic controls in a 100% manual older car?
2. Motor mount issues. Can these FWD engines be installed in RWD chassis?
3. Transmission attachment issues. I am open to replacing the Saginaw - but want to stick with a manual trans. This car has a mechanical speedometer.
4. Starter position. Are the starters on new engines on driver side?
5. Accessory attachent issues. There is no A/C, but will it be a pain to deal with

I appreciate input from those who have been down this path before - or have seen others do so. I am just starting the journey.......

The 3800 was used in FBodys so they should be able to install where ever you want. The problem with the 3800 supercharged FWD is the air enters the charger at the back of the motor just above bell housing area, that would make the install a little tougher but could still de done with a lot of work. There is a guy in here who used a 3800 in a Buick and set it up to look like a GN motor.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You are going to run into the same amount of fab work if you decide to boost either one. A 4.1 might be slightly easier just because you can get GN stuff to bolt right on where nothing will fit on a SII 3800. But, either setup is capable of that NA. If you turbo a 4.1 and are going to blow past your goal by 150+hp.

I am a full believer in the 3800 stuff. Built both and the 3800 is far superior. Crossbolted mains, better crank, better oil system, can use HPtuners to scan and tune, better pistons, roller cam, ect. Everything people put into to upgrade the 3.8/4.1 is already there with the 3800. If you pull a complete 3800 out of a 97-02 f body you can get a T5 with it so you wont have to worry about finding flywheels, clutches, ect since its already there.

Its going to take more fab work but its worth it. The FWD and RWD 3800 blocks are the same. Im not sure how much room there is in an H body but on F bodies its real tough to run AC with the stock accessory drive and a turbo. Without the AC pump theres room though.

Thanks for the feedback. I was considering buying a supercharged 3800 series II or III. Will the motor mounts be a problem for a RWD application?

Going to have to build mounts. 4th gen F mounts sit 4" or so farther out off the block.