Powertrax locker?

S10xGN

RETIRED!
Anyone got the low-down on these? Powertrax I'm looking to put some type of posi unit in an '86 GN open rear axle, this looks like a drop in without even removing the stock carrier.

Later,

Do a search on this board, haven't heard a lot of good things with this unit. Might want to stick with the proven Eaton units.

My brother had one in his 88 gmc truck...it was noisy when it was locking in...but both wheels would pull hard...and it was very easy to install.

Search for Powertrax Problems and I have a big thread on this. Mine had a surface failure due to some bad material in one of their batches. I think the one I replaced it with is working.

Some people have had great luck and ran them in 11 second cars many seasons with no problems. I did not have as good of luck but still like the idea for the product. I have never installed anything like this before and was able to put it in without trouble. Some friends helped me the first install.

Well, I read the above thread (can't believe I'd forgotten about that one), and it looks like all things do - some people like 'em and some don't! :eek:

So, *if* I were to get one, would I want the lockright or the no-slip? I'm still doing research and haven't ruled ou the Eaton, but it's now up to $425.00 or so, and would require removing the carrier, new bearings etc. Just trying to stay "cheap" on my son's 383" MCSS.

Thanks!

Mine is the no-slip, a newer version for mostly street driving. The one I mentioned in the low 11 sec car was the Lock-right. That car belongs to Joe Reif, several seasons of racing with no problems, he told me. Trannys broke he said :) , but not the Lock-right.