Popping at higher RPM and a lot of lag

D

Dark Horse

This message is a little choppy because I originally posted it in the Performance ECM forum, because the car has a FAST system; and I didn't want to type it all over again. This may be better suited question for this forum though.

First post:
VEGOS reading on the FAST?
I know .45 volts is ideal, but mine is .45 with the engine off, and .49 volts with it idling. Is this enough to consider the O2 going bad? The car is bogging badly out of the hole and quits pulling at 5000-5200, and I mean just quits. When you shift to the next gear it pulls real hard up to 5000-5200 just the same. I put a new coil on to night and it didn't help at all. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Second and more informative post:

Last night I actually unhooked the O2 and it ran close to the same. It wouldn't idle at first, I changed some of the idle parameters so it would run, there was no difference in over all performance though. I was thinking about it and the popping started after putting in some bad race gas (as in real old). Here's the whole story maybe this will help some. Late October I ran the car at the track and it was running great. On the way home I had a rear end problem so I parked the car for winter. Before I parked it I drained out all the water and replaced it with anti-freeze. I let the car idle for quite awhile to let it reach operating temp. I washed the car, then sprayed the engine with degreaser and scrubbed under the hood, all the while it is still running. I then parked it for winter. Well two months later I decide to look at the rear-end and it was a minor fix(should have looked sooner). So I hadn't yet switched to storage insurance and I had 5 gallons of 110 octane a buddy gave me (it was old though like a year or better:eek: ) I figured it would be Okay. Well I took off and let it warm up then nailed it and it lagged real bad then sputtered a little at the top of first. ( by the way the cap was off the down pipe and you could hear it popping out the exhaust). Well then I tried again from a roll and was popping something fierce in the top of second and third. I wrote all this off as bad gas and just parked it. Now with good gas 93 octane and 17 lbs it's acting the same way. It has new plugs and coil now and still acting the same way. I almost wonder if I wiped out the cam from all the idling I did with it. What do you guys think? The cam is a comp 206/206 weber design flat tappet. Hopefully this info will help ...Thanks

Are you running a WBO2 system?

Are you A/F ratios set up?

Are your VE numbers close?

Have you checked your plug wires?

Where are you reading the rpm from?
What do you have the rev limiter set at?

What gap are you using on your plugs and what plugs are you using?

Are you running a WBO2 system?
Yes I am

Are you A/F ratios set up?
Yes this car was running great as stated

Are your VE numbers close?
Very close not much O2 correction at all

Have you checked your plug wires?
No I didn't think they would just go bad all the sudden, guess I could check the obvious though.

Where are you reading the rpm from?
The tach, and it matches the FAST rpm

What do you have the rev limiter set at?
6100 to 6300

What gap are you using on your plugs and what plugs are you using?
Unsure of the plug # right now I will have to check, they are a champion plug, I just bought a third set last night AC42LTS (a little colder plug), but keep in mind this popping started with my original plugs and continued with the second set. The gap is set at .035 same as when it was running good.

Interesting, my car started popping also (high rpms only) im going to check my coil pack and wires this weekend, my plugs are three months old set at .035 gap. Still have the same plug wires and coil pack from the guy i bought it from. If you figure yours out, because it sounds like the same thing mine is doing, please let me know what it is, or make a new post with the problem solved.

thanks

jojo