Paint Job Cost..with some labor saving done

dsa87gn

I know its a tough guess. But Im getting the GN painted and have been removing alot of stuff for prep.

Stuff Ive removed so far..

bumpers/fillers
headlight bezels
spoiler
wheel well trim
badges
trunk trim
hood trim
front/rear window trim
opera glass
door mirrors
door sweeps
door handles and locks
stripped all interior except driver seat and carpet.

No rust problems on the car. Its a 48k car from the north but is stored every winter and never dirven in the rain.

What price I am expecting for a quality strip and paint job ?

Depends on shop. You want to make shop even happier have the car media blasted that way there are no hidden costs. If there is only factory paint on car with no bondo anywhere the stripping should be around 500-700 dollars. Preping and painting probably $4000 to $7000. Im in N/W suburbs of chicago and I had prices from $3000 to $20,000:eek:

get a hold of miguel(if you want to haul it to conn)look under hot rod gn or pat's auto care in conn good guy to deal with and he knows his way around these cars.jim ps he is doing my car now,look under buick restoration shop

skys the limit. nice paint job with wat u have done $5-6k to $40-50k. although some will do it much cheaper. u have to look around but u usually get wat u pay 4

Im in N/W suburbs of chicago and I had prices from $3000 to $20,000:eek:

Yep... sounds about right!

The $3K jobs look like crap. Some people are OK with it though....

$5-7K will get you something close to a factory finish on a newer car

The really nice super straight mirror finishes start around $9K and go up from there.....

A lot of it depends upon how you're going to use the car. The more you spend and the nicer it gets... the less you will want to drive it! After all it might get scratched!

$3,000-$8,000 sounds about right.

Like stated before you get what you pay for..Also ask what kind of paint will be used. Alot of shops say they are DuPont, PPG, Sikkens....but use cheaper lines for the primer/clear...I've seen alot of nice paint jobs done w/ $70 a Gallon Clear, that doesnt hold up the same as the $300+ a Gallon ClearCoats..May look nice now, but down the road, not so much..

FYI, I just redid my own Regal, I have $1,000 just in the Paint (All PPG) this isnt including any sandpaper, tape, supplies etc..

Make sure the old paint is stripped off...only way to do it, otherwise it will come back to haunt you, I've been down that road w/ my regal..Made it 6 years before it really started to show that the car wasn't stripped first time the car was paionted by someone else.

why dont you just paint it yourself. i painted my car when i was 17 see my slide show in my sig. what the big fear, i have a how to do bodywork thread in the how to section. why pay someone to do something you can do yourself. save your self some cash and do it yourself. unless you have a money tree out back do it yourself it give you a better sense of pride when you finish it.

depends on if it needs body work if theres no bodywork then 6k is alot stripping the car urself will prob save u atleast $500

depends on if it needs body work if theres no bodywork then 6k is alot stripping the car urself will prob save u atleast $500

I dont care if there is rust or not, every car ever made needs blocked out. My car was garage pampered 15,000 mile baby when I got it and it is terrible for flatness. My roof has a small dent from the inside, not the outside, and it has never had the headliner out so this was done at the factory. If you stripped down a totally factory car and just resprayed it, you would be very disappointed with the result no matter how shiny. Black shows everything. I swapped out a fender on my GN right after I got it. I bought an absolute perfect fender that was ready to put on a maroon T and when I took a block to it, it was in need of about 4 hours of block sanding after a little finishing putty and filler primer. Our cars look good with the factory orange peel when they are buffed up, but they are not straight. After looking at my friends 84 when it came out of the shop, I was totally blown away when parked side by side. He has about 6k in his paint job.

:biggrin:

I know its a tough guess. But Im getting the GN painted and have been removing alot of stuff for prep.

Stuff Ive removed so far..

bumpers/fillers
headlight bezels
spoiler
wheel well trim
badges
trunk trim
hood trim
front/rear window trim
opera glass
door mirrors
door sweeps
door handles and locks
stripped all interior except driver seat and carpet.

No rust problems on the car. Its a 48k car from the north but is stored every winter and never dirven in the rain.

What price I am expecting for a quality strip and paint job ?
I just got my paint shop close to being complete and i will be offering a couple of sweet deals on complete base coat/clear coat jobs, wet sanded and buffed to a show finish. I have been painting cars for the last 17 years and work for Duncan Aviation painting corporate jet for a living for the past 20 years. I guarantee my work. I will be posting pictures of the shop later. This is no cheap paint booth, everything is top notch with heated floors. I guarantee you will not be dispointed. Complete jobs striped down to bare metal if needed depending on how much paint is already applied. $4000.00
No Guarantee on rust unless the area is replaced with new sheet metal.

I'm located in Battle Creek MI.
Thanks Tony

Attachments

• DSCN2155.jpg
    DSCN2155.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCN2152.jpg
    DSCN2152.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCN1071.JPG
    DSCN1071.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 269
Strip-paint

Tony, $4000.00...............that is a great deal. To dis-assemble the entire car,stripping all the paint off(bumpers,guards,fillers,chipguard etc.... That is alot of work..i've restored a few, the materals cost approx 1800.00 on the low side..the labor hrs are approx 120 hrs ...now consider jambs,weatherstrips,belt mlds,clips,possible side mlds,bumper fillers(origional ones crack) i guess to take a nice gn(no rust but paint issues and minor dents..age issues) and restore it, you could tie up $8000.00 to $10.000.00...

Yeah, Bill i would agree somewhat. I only want to get my work back out there for people to see. You are correct on the man hours., I was thinking the around the same @$40.00 per hour that's $4800.00 in just labor not including material. So yes it's a real sweet deal. Like i said i will only be doing a couple of them at this price. I'm going to post another ad with everything it will include in the base price of the paint job and what is removed during the complete job and what is considered an up charge. My basic strip and paint will include removing all the old paint down to bare metal, removing door handles, locks, weather stripping, molding around windows except the rear quartor glass, mirrors, grill, all light bezels and marker lights.
Additional labor would be for removing the bumpers and fillers, Quartor glass, doors, hood, deck lid. Alot of the work will be on a case by case bases. And of course all additional cost of the harware that broke when removed. Like i said i will get into more detail when i post the ad.
Thanks Bill:)

I had mine repainted this past spring-did all the trim and glass removal and re-installation myself also. Paint, materials, and labor for the re-paint alone was just a hair over $5k and I am very pleased with the results. Cost of materials is out of this world to the point where the shop that did my work said that they hardly do any re-paints or resotration any more...all the money is in insurance collision work.

I just got my paint shop close to being complete and i will be offering a couple of sweet deals on complete base coat/clear coat jobs, wet sanded and buffed to a show finish. I have been painting cars for the last 17 years and work for Duncan Aviation painting corporate jet for a living for the past 20 years. I guarantee my work. I will be posting pictures of the shop later. This is no cheap paint booth, everything is top notch with heated floors. I guarantee you will not be dispointed. Complete jobs striped down to bare metal if needed depending on how much paint is already applied. $4000.00
No Guarantee on rust unless the area is replaced with new sheet metal.

I'm located in Battle Creek MI.
Thanks Tony

That's awesome, too bad I am not closer or that I am not the typical guy who likes one solid color.

I'm in the process of getting my car painted. Bodyman wants to do doors, hood, and trunk first. He helped me remove them at my house and he took them back to his shop, where he has already started the work. After he completes them, he will trailer the car in and complete the job and reassemble it. He says this way the whole car doesn't sit in his shop all at once and take up space. I removed the bumpers, fillers, head/tail lights, 1/4 glass, etc. to save money. I will also reassemble those parts after the job is done. Old paint will be stripped down to bare metal. Front and rear glass will stay in. Paint, primer, etc. will be PPG. Doors have some rust along the bottom. He will also wet sand and buff it. I'm hoping it doesn't cost over $4500, but he hasn't given me a price (and he already started the work :eek:).