Odd turbo sputtering.

TheGovernment

I just swapped my old IC for a new PTE stretch one. After getting everything installed I went for a drive, everything worked great no problems. The next day I noticed a odd noise when hitting about 10 lbs or so of boost. The turbo sounds like it's sputtering or breaking up, like what you would hear if you stuck a card in a fan (there is nothing in there, just trying to explain the sound). There doesn't seem to be a loss in power and it runs great but it's driving me nuts! I've checked all my hoses and vac lines and they seem to be fine. My scanmaster numbers are fine also, nothing has really changed other than the IC. I never had this problem before with the stock IC. It almost sounds like a leak but when I took everything off (cold air, ic hoses etc) they are tight and don't appear to be leaking as I sprayed them with some soap to see if I could see a leak.

any ideas? It just seems like it has to be a hose or something, snice nothing else was taken off but who knows, maybe I have some other problem? my mods are in my sig.

You could do a pressure test to find leaks.

Kind of sounds like compressor surge. Anyone else?

are you using a bleeder style boost controller? mine would make that kind of noise also...compressor surge as well

Right now, the boost controller is just the plastic T that was on there. I have a RJC one coming but it got stuck in the mail during the Canada postal strike and I haven't got it yet. I'm not sure what causes compressor surge but wonder why this would come about after the IC install?. I'm not a great mechanic and don't know a ton as to what could cause it and how to try and fix it. I've been looking at the forums for a day or 2 but it's tough to find exactly the same problem as someone else lol.

Just an update, I finally got my RJC boost controller (held hostage by Canada post because of the strike) and installed it this morning. Problem solved, turbo no longer has any surge. :)