O2 sensor ?

larry33kc

My buddy's 95 chevy truck runs like crap and he has never changed his O2 sensor because he said it cost around $70, Is this true, if so where can he get one cheaper TIA

Although you don't really mention in detail the problem or the engine, I'll share my similar experience with my 94 4.3 4dr s-10 blazer, 150k. Running like crap after it warms up and engine under load about 30mph and up. So I wasted $70 on an O2, no change. I'd consider other things first if it has not set a code.

You can check for codes by grounding the ADL in the upper two ports with a wire, and the SES light will flash a code 3 times if set, and it flashes a 12 code first like the TRs (meaning good ECM). Of course they don't always code I'm sure. You can get a cheapo repair manual with the codes. I hope you can at least get the codes on the 95s also, I know some of the newer cars you can't.

I've narrowed my problems down to this, in order I will begin the repair work: Coil pack, distributer, CPI injector. I've already installed new plugs, wires, distributer cap, and set the timing (it was low). I'd replace these things first if you haven't already. If you adjust the timing while it's running, ground the ADL like you're checking the codes, so the ECM won't compensate. So there's my shadetree mechanic analysis:D

Check that water temperature sensor. If it never closes after the engine warms up, it can wreak havoc on performance. Mechanic buddy told me about that one a few years ago. I believe it should go to ground once the truck warms up. An ohmmeter will show this. If it never changes, chances are it's bad or threads might be corroded.

Originally posted by bandwidthpolice
Check that water temperature sensor. If it never closes after the engine warms up, it can wreak havoc on performance. .
The sensors that help determine the fueling include the water temp, idle air control((IAC), manifold absolute pressure(MAP), and throttle position sensor(TPS). I had thought about these going bad also after reading the manual. Same type of sensor system as the TRs. If you can find a garage with a scantool (my Autozone did not carry one for my truck to test) that they can moniter these sensors, it would be a quick check to see if anything is out of range. Dealerships cost a fortune since they charge shop rate of maximum hours, even if it only takes an hour.