O2 sensor & leaded gas

stickybones

What?
I'd like to run leaded gas at the track, but we all know it'll ruin the O2 sensor pretty quickly. My question is this...when the O2 sensor goes bad, does the car run like crap? I don't mind ruining one O2 sensor to use all the time with leaded gas, but if the car ain't gonna run right once the O2 sensor goes bad and I have to keep replacing the darn thing, then I don't think it's worth it. I'll just stick to Sunoco GT 100 or xylene homebrew.

the car will run fine with a bad 02 at WOT because it is in open loop.......before you get to WOT, the car may run like crap....it is recommended the 02 be functional for optimum performance...there are other options out there....like the ME chip....runs in open loop (no 02 sensor) all the time......not recommended if you have to pass emissions test

Do you use the O2's for tuning at the track or do you have an EGT? If you are using the O2's only I highly recommend using a new or non lead fouled O2 every time you go to the track.

I found out by comparing O2's to my EGT's at the track just how far out of whack an old O2 sensor can get. O2's @ 830 and EGT's @ 1700*. Added a fuel until I was a the low 1600's and the O2's barely changed. Put in a new O2 sensor and EGT's @ 1635* and O2's @ 750 and best best run ever :)

Yeah, I use the O2 readout from my scanmaster to tune at the track now. I figured with leaded gas and a puked O2 sensor, I'd just tune for no knock and ignore O2 voltage. However, as AZGN said, if it runs like poopoo at anything other than WOT, I'll stick with unleaded. I'm not about to buy a new O2 sensor each time I go to the track. But maybe I should think about the MaxEffort chip for the track.

The heated O2's work. I have been using them for years. Some will say that you can't tell when they go bad. If you know how your car is tuned and how it performs you will know if you have a bad O2. I run race fuel all of the time in my GN, no problems with the heated O2. Just my .02:D

Chris...what brand heated O2 sensor are you runnin'? I bought a Standard since non of the local part stores sold the Delco. I have to make my own adapter for it, but that shouldn't be too difficult. I just need to find a good, convenient +12V source to tap into.

Mike

Originally posted by stickybones
Chris...what brand heated O2 sensor are you runnin'? I bought a Standard since non of the local part stores sold the Delco. I have to make my own adapter for it, but that shouldn't be too difficult. I just need to find a good, convenient +12V source to tap into.

Mike

Alot of times you can buy the adapter to plug into a heated O2 at the local parts store. I wired mine up so that I can switch back to a regular single wire O2 at any time. My car seems to run better with a stock O2 so I just switch in the heated one before I go racing. Heated or not though, make no mistake, the leaded racegas will kill the sensor and will distort the WOT readings before you know it.

Mike,

I use the Casper's plug in heated O2. I have had no problems with the heated O2's. I have been using the heated O2 in my GN for about 3 years now. The race gas does not affect my WOT O2 counts. I have tuned my car to the point that I will know if I have bad counts. I use a Scanmaster and Turbolink to tune and record data with.