No KR with Extender Chip?

KentuckyV6

Hello all. This is my first post since the board has come back up and wanted to say this is one friendly place for Buick fans.

Last week my stock style MAF died and I was running a Lubrant chip for MSD 50's. After reading up I decided that the way to go was the 3.5" MAF, Translator Plus, and an Extender Chip. I placed my order for next day to get the hardware so that the car was drivable (hoping to go to Bristol). I did wait for the proper chip to be burned and shipped so kept the Lubrant chip and left the Translator Plus adjusted for this chip. The car ran ok but wanted to die at idle after warmed up. No problem I could deal with that.

I got my new Extender Chip yesterday and installed it and changed the Translator Plus to the proper settings for the chip.I left the timing and fuel setting at zero. I noticed he build sheet for the chip that the timing was for 98 octane (23 low gear and 21 high gear). I had ordered for 93 octane but after looking at it thought that since I had the Translator Plus the chip was ok since I was able to adjust the Translator Plus. Is this correct thinking?

Next thing I noticed is that if I get into it from a 5 MPH roll then I get losts of knock and the Scanmaster reads no retard (yes I can hear a ton of knock:eek: ). Scary

Here are the details of the chip: BSL54A1C

S- stock data stream (to work with ScanMaster 2.1 and Direct Scan)

L- 50# MSD

5- 98 octane (has note for Translator Plus, Alcohol Inj)

4- waste gate % 85/80

A- 750 idle, 5800 rev limit, 5200 shift lite

1- anti-theft + convenience mode

C- current software revision

The notes does say that it includes knock ignore for the first three seconds after launch but this knock occurs from a roll. How would the chip know if it was a launch or a roll and if it did ignore KR should the Scan Master still register? If this is my problem can it be disabled - don't want to do head gaskets.

I did adjust the spark base for 4 degrees retard and 2 degrees above 3200 to reduce the audible knock but the Scan Master still did not register any KR.

Is there anything with this chip that would seem to correspond with this loss of KR readings?

By the way the car has a much improved Idle and does not want to stall when abrupt closing of the throttle or when starting hot so I am very impressed. I do have a problem with the BLMs creeping up to 159 at idle and must have a vacuum leak or exhaust leak. I tried running the richer settings but it did not lower the BLM value.

Any suggestions or imput?

Thanks,

Troy Ohden

T+

Knock ignore is for the first 3 seconds of PE (power enrichment)

Have you connected the gray and white wires? These wires control the spark advance.

How much boost are you running?

Does the boost overshoot?

How confident are you of the fuel quality?

If the stock turbo is spitting some oil on the compressor side or
if you have the stock crankcase breather tube still attached, the oil entering
the engine will cause this too.

TB