no go when shifting manually

justanewb

I've got a problem for all the transmission guys.
I had my 200-4r rebuilt after suddenly loosing all gears . After installing with new converter I went for a test drive and all seemed well until I down shifted to D at about 15 MPH and the car slowed down . I give it more throttle and the car still slows down. After getting back home I lift the rear tires off the ground and put the car in OD the tires start spinning. As soon I down shift into any gear the tires come to a sudden stop. Reverse works fine and it works as normal in OD.
It is under warranty but I would have to pull it back out and take it 3 hours away. So I'm hoping it may be something I could easily fix if you guys have any ideas.

Did you call the builder? They might have an easy fix over the phone.

Probably something in the valve body, does it shift thru all the gears in od?Hes got something wrong in the valve body and when you pull it down its applying a set of clutches that shouldn't applied causing the trans braking.Thats what it sounds like anyway with the info supplied probably going to have to go back to builder. That sucks.

Last edited:
Can you take him the whole car? Is he willing to check it out?

Are you sure you installed and adjusted the tv cable correctly?

How deep are you willing to dive into the trans? Once you open it up you own it. I would talk to the builder again and see what he is willing to do. Is he someone who posts here and known to be someone who "knows" the 2004r?

Probably something in the valve body, does it shift thru all the gears in od?Hes got something wrong in the valve body and when you pull it down its applying a set of clutches that shouldn't applied causing the trans braking.Thats what it sounds like anyway with the info supplied probably going to have to go back to builder. That sucks.
I does shift through all gears in OD. I agree it seems to be something in the valve body. Thanks for the repy.

Can you take him the whole car? Is he willing to check it out?

Are you sure you installed and adjusted the tv cable correctly?

How deep are you willing to dive into the trans? Once you open it up you own it. I would talk to the builder again and see what he is willing to do. Is he someone who posts here and known to be someone who "knows" the 2004r?
I'd have to tow the car 3 hours away.
I'll check the TV cable one more time before I pull it out.
I'm sure he posts here and has built 200's for a few other TRADEMARKS guys I know (including his own) with no issues .
Not trying to bash the guy. Just learning.

I'd have to tow the car 3 hours away.
I'll check the TV cable one more time before I pull it out.
I'm sure he posts here and has built 200's for a few other TRADEMARKS guys I know (including his own) with no issues .
Not trying to bash the guy. Just learning.
That's alright, you shouldn't bash a guy for having an issue as transmissions are one of the hardest things to tackle and anybody whose built a transmission or who builds can have issues ,transmissions can bite anybody no matter how good you are ,and as long as the guy is willing to take care of you and make sure its right your doing the right thing by not bashing him, if he doesn't take care of you now that's a different story.

You will notice I never ask who. As above if he is willing to take a look I would give that opportunity. You say it shifts through in od, why wont it drive there? I drove mine back to dfw from Houston without 2nd way back when.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the transmission is coming back out this weekend and back to the builder.