Nhra rules ?

jetmech

If im able to register for pinks all out at rt.66 this year what basic rules will get me past tech. I will slow the car down to 11.5-11.7 due to no roll bar. I have convo pros w/ extened studs on rear stock studs on front but i do have the lugs on the front where i can take the cap off. Do the studs need to stick out of the lug nuts to pass tech. Also the aftermarket turbo fire jacket rule. Do i need a fire jacket. I have driveshaft loop an stock battery hold down. Any nhra tech help is appreciated. Thanks.

As of this year I think you need pants as well as the jacket. Steel valve stems all around, and I think the stud has to stick out at least half of the diameter of the stud itself.
Anyone else chime in?

lug stud doesnt need to stick out of lugnut
the rule is lugs studs have to engage the lug (after washer ) atleast the width of the lug stud

so with a 12mm lug stud the threads have to be 12mm past the face of rim measured after the washer if with washer , also lug nut needs to have threads there to engage some shank lugs dont have much threads past the shank,
open lugs just make it easier to verify the engagement and allow longer studs to work , `
mcgards are about the best out there for shank style , the centerline shank lugs suck and i ve seen them cut through the washers before reaching 85# torque and then bttom out on the drum leaving very little torque holding the wheel on

single layer firejacket will be required as well as a snell 2000 or newer certified helmet , they will usually check the helmet inside the lining for the snell sticker

trans with a brake will require a trans blanket

My trans has a brake...i just forget to mention that, as it is a street car. And dont care to hold the extra heat in with a blanket:D

You should have axle retention devices, DS loop, steel valve stems, long wheel studs on rear wheels.

As long as your are running the Stageright style trans break:smile: the track inspectors will never know. If it is a thm400 or electric brake, they may ask for a blanket and flywheel shield. They may even ask for an SFI flywheel but I doubt it.

Indy is the only track I've ever been asked about SFI flywheel and balancer

I've never ever been checked on the front studs. Mine are still stock and the NHRA chassis inspector never said anything about the closed lug nuts on the front.

dont know who your talking to Dave but this thread was opened by jetmech asking for a car running no bar and slower than 11.50

long studs in rear are not required as i mentioned , they just need to meet the minimum engagement
if running factory rims theres no need for long studs or open lugs for tech but its a good idea to upgrade to better lugs especially with the brake , and OP stated he has centerline convos (they take shank lugs) and has open lugs and rear studs
OP also stated he's running 11.50 and slower
clip elims aren't required till 10.99 or faster
sfi flywheel at 10.99
if balancer is used (installed.. not used as in old) it needs to be sfi , but stock isnt a balancer its a hub so it doesnt fall under the regulation , but if your running fast the stock can fail and cost you some money ,so a good sfi balancer wouldnt be a bad idea
flywheel sheild at 9.99 and faster
ds loop at any speed with slicks , my local track requires one now with DRs and OP stated he already has one
as to the blanket his sig shows a th350 , dont need a shield/blanket with that until 10.99 but he has a brake listed in sig so he needs one regardless of speed ,

i reused my blanket from my 2004r(stageright brake) on the th400 w/brake but had it screwed it to the floor to allow for more airflow so i left it ,

heres a link to the quick chart for 2010 http://www.nhra.com/competition/etquickref.aspx
best is to get ahold of the official rule book and read it

They are getting better at updating the quick reference chart. Its getting easier to read too. In most cases, if there isn't a "Y" next to it, its probably not required. In my experience, the only thing they've checked is the helmet and fire jacket running slower than 11.50, although everything else was in place safety wise. Seen/heard too many people having problems with axles and lugs/studs to risk going cheap there though.

Even on my faster car they've only checked the harness in addition to the jacket and helmet, but again I have all the other stuff in place and they probably know that by now.

The one thing I see on the chart that sticks out is the auto trans locking dipstick. I don't think it was on the quick reference chart previously, even though it was in the NHRA rulebook. I can't remember at what ET it came into play (9.99?). I got a Lokar locking one just in case someone decided to tech it all out if I got in the 9's. I wonder if thats something they are going to be checking this year at 10.99 and quicker? Most people I know in the 10s don't have one.

Trans blanket/shield also seems to be something a lot of people don't have when in the 10s or with a transbrake. Steel valve stems are also something a lot of people don't have.

yes on the et quick chart , if it has a number it refers to the paragraph in the rules that usually only applies for specific NHRA class racing
most of us dont run NHRA events or classes but rather local events and test and tune

looking at the rules update ammendments dated 12/08/09 for the 2010 book

general regulations

2:13 TRANSMISSION, Aftermarket Planetary (12/08/09)
A transmission shield covering transmission and reverser that meets SFI Spec 4.1 is
mandatory if engine burns nitromethane; or engine burns methanol or nitrous oxide
and runs 9.99 seconds or quicker; or vehicle runs 7.49 seconds or quicker; or engine is
supercharged or turbocharged; or on any overdrive unit. Air shifter bottles must be
stamped with DOT-1800 pound rating (minimum) and be securely mounted (i.e., no tiewraps
or hose clamps).

http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/2010RuleBookAmendments.pdf

Thanks for your help guys, Am i reading the trans blanket correctly if engine is supercharged or turbocharged it is required at any speed.. My car does have steel valve stems,c-clip elims, So to pass tech i need a snell 2000 helmet and a fire jacket. And possibly a trans blanket,

i beleive it applies to trans with an aftermarket planetary , would have to see the full rule book to see