new to the sport

wanttogofast

Hello everyone, I have been a gn owner for close to a year. Let me start off by letting you all know that I know very little about cars and even less about these cars. Also, let me add that I am very eager to learn about and tinker and tune on my own car. when I bought the car it had 106k miles and ran great, soon after trouble began. It stalled out in the middle of traffic and by me knowing a little about car I checked for fuel pressure and the was none. So the next step was to get a gas tank and get gas but still nothing. After getting the car home I had a neighborhood mechanic check the car and he decided it might the fuel but first check the fuel injection fuse. After finding this no one could figure out why these fuses kept blowing until Gary figured that the fuse would blow when the motor was reved up. So i'm quite sure you all know, a tie down solved that very nerve recking problem.

After that was solved I took the car to the track and the best time was 14.20@90something which I believed to be somewhat encouraging, but once again i know very little about these cars. While at the track I and a serious racer made at least 3-4 passes. So now its time to go home and what do you know, the tranny says no I won't go. So i replaced it and added a 2800 stall from postons. Also, I added a walbro fp, fpr, chip (have know idea what kind). So now with all these things I should have improved on the 14.20 right, wrong recently took the car back to track best time 14.30@87 with 2.060ft. Now the best 60ft was 1.768 and as I noted earlier I have know knowledge as to what this means and if it means the car should have a better et and mph. One problem I had at the track was the car would not shift without easy off gas and car would go to rev limit. Could anyone help me solve that problem? Also was again the trans was shot and had to creep car home again. Can anyone help with this also? I also have a friend who has one but car won't start at all. Please help!

Put your location in your profile. Maybe someone local can help you out. Go to www.gnttype.org and start reading. Just about everything you ever wanted to know about these cars has a detailed description on that site.

You need to do some mods to help your car get better.

1. get a scan tool - Scanmaster - $250
This will help you tune your car and diagnos problems
2. You might want to check on the valve springs and timing chain and gears.

Without a scan tool we can't help you much, because we don't know whats wrong. With the new fuel pump and regulator you may be running very rich.

The trans problem my be with the Throttle Valve cable. There is a simple adjustment proceedure on the site I mentioned before.

Well it sounds to me like you may have multiple problems. I will try and make some suggestions as best I can, so let's try and answer some of the easier questions first.
In regards to your 60' question the answer is yes, typically a lower 60' will give lower et's, which translates into higher mph. You say your car went slower after running a lower 60' time, that can mean several things. Did you let off the throttle during the run? Was the car sputtering going down the track? Anything you remember about the run?
In regards to your transmission it may not be shifting properly due to the "TV" cable not being set correctly. I'm assuming you had installed a new transmission according to your post. The governor in the transmission may be set to high (it tells the transmission when to shift; line pressure). Also make sure you have good parts put in the transmission.

There are really a number of things that can cause these problems and without further symtoms as to what is wrong, it is hard for us to help. BTW where are you located? There may be someone on here close by. HTH.

I did have to get of the gas to allow the trans to shift. And thinking it is the tv cable, but I need to know how to properly set it.

Setting the TV cable is a no brainer. Push the D shaped button. Push in the Cable's sheath. Open the the throttle to Wide Open Throttle and the TV cable sheath will click out and set itself.

Hey I am local and willing to help, give me a call @312-939-4339 (work) or my cell @630-212-4490.

Prasad