New Member with a Buick past...

swestoyz

Hello! I've been lurking around for quite some time and I wanted to drop a quick line introducing myself and get more involved with the community here. I've been playing around with GM cars for most of my lifetime. As a youngster in the 80's I helped my dad in the garage as his tool gopher while he wrenched on his '70 Stage 1. He also used to drag me down to the local Buick dealer in Waterloo, IA at the time, which was Mark Gill Buick, where his brother was the Sales Manager. Let's just say I've seen the inside of many LeSabre and Regal trunks as they would trick us kids into getting in the trunks and locking us in. :)

Dad had me sit next to him when he ordered his '87 GN in the spring of '87, but alas the car was never intended to be built due to the GNX program, so my folks spent the money elsewhere. Unexpectedly the car ended up being built and delivered in the fall of '87. Even though the car was eventually sold to someone else, I vividly remember the test drive and the sound of the tires screeching. I was hooked on Turbo Buicks from that moment on.

Dad would also drag me to the races with him and his buddies. Often times he would race other Grand Sports, but every once in a while he'd race a Turbo car. I was always amazed that a car with six cylinders could keep up or beat a 455! Unfortunately dad stopped racing in the early 90's so I wasn't around Buicks much after that until I got older.

While in high school and college, I wrenched on my own cars, as well as several of my friends cars. Lots of G-body Regals and Cutlasses, Firebirds, Eldorados,Toronados, and the occasional '59 Caddy. Now that I'm the same age as my father was when he ordered his GN, I finally own a Turbo Buick! Last spring I picked up an '84 T-Type Riviera. I'm in the process of freshening up the car. It is a blast to drive but there is plenty to do.

I want to thank everyone for posting awesome resources - whether found here, gnttype.org, or elsewhere on the net. The Turbo Buick community is amazing.

Ben

Attachments

• 425927_10201016905803615_1118558477_n.jpg
    425927_10201016905803615_1118558477_n.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 75