New best ET with stock 87 T-type

neat

Went out again in the 87 T-type last night. The only thing changed from the factory is the Walbro fuel pump, the alternator, and the cat has been replaced with a straight piece of pipe. Stock boost, stock fuel pressure, stock wheels, 215 BFG all season tires, paper air filter, MAF from 87, etc... The car is basically as it left the assembly line minus the few things I listed. Best time prior to last night was a 14.3 @ 93 MPH.

After a light burnout I headed to the line for my first pass. I power braked the car pretty hard, and hammered down on green. The car left really hard with no wheel spin-

60 foot was a 1.87 (!) on the 215 BFG's.
1/8 was 8.71 @ 77.35

There was a glitch with the timers so I didn't get 1/4 mile results, but I think the car would of broke into the 13's on that pass. The 1/8 mile was .3 quicker and 2 MPH faster than the car had ever gone.

On the second pass, The track didn't hook quite as well, and the 60 foot time was a 1.98.
1/8 was 8.90 @ 74.91
1/4 was 14.13 @ 94.32

On that pass the transmission didn't want to shift out of second gear. At 70 MPH I lifted for a split second, the trans shifted, and I put the pedal back down. I doubt the slight lift would of gotten me the .2 or so I need to break into the 13's, but it would of been closer. I would think the car would of trapped a bit higher as well. I also left the car is OD accidentally.

Third pass. Another light burnout, made sure it was is D instead of OD, and I went to the line. Traction was worse, 2.05 sixty.
1/8 was 9.05 @ 75.24
1/4 was 14.30 @ 92.77

On that pass the transmission was shifting really early for some reason. It shifted out of first at 22 MPH, and out of second somewhere in the high 40's. Hopefully if I adjust the TV cable and set it up properly the shifting problems will go away.

Anyway, I am ecstatic about the 14.1 with high 13 potential. I am even happier about the 1.8 short time. The Corvette in my signature struggles to break out of the 1.9's with Mickey Thompson ET street radials on it. It also never saw a 14.1 or faster ET in pure stock form.

Man, I love these cars!

That first run was easy 13's. Be sure to let the intercooler cool before every run.

I use a garden spraying to spray water on it in the pits. The evaporating water will cool it down towards the dew point, so on dry days, it will even feel cooler than air temp.

You will see the difference between a cool intercooler and a hot one on the timeslip.

UNGN said:
That first run was easy 13's. Be sure to let the intercooler cool before every run.

I use a garden spraying to spray water on it in the pits. The evaporating water will cool it down towards the dew point, so on dry days, it will even feel cooler than air temp.

You will see the difference between a cool intercooler and a hot one on the timeslip.

It's always 80+ degree's and a million percent humidity here in North Carolina, so the water would take all night to evaporate, lol. I might try using some of the compressed air in a can that you use to clean the dust from keyboards and other electronics. That stuff is super cold right out of the can.

I am going to go get that 13 here sooner or later. Then comes the chip, alcohol, and more boost.

What does that beast weigh in at? Good to see you're finally having some fun with a turbo car. :biggrin:

qwic87gn said:
What does that beast weigh in at? Good to see you're finally having some fun with a turbo car. :biggrin:

I haven't a clue man. It is turning some pretty good times for it's mod level, so it must be pretty light. What's your car weigh? The only real differences that I can think of are the seats. The T-type I am playing with has AC, cruise, PW, PL, and manual seats.

Congrats, good runs, although I think the MPH looks a tad low. I remember back in the day when these cars were new, most folks saw anywhere from 95 to 99 mph on the average. Chip and filter cars saw around 101-102 mph back then in my neck of the woods (I still have videos of these cars making passes from back in 87 and 88). What was the ambient temp when you were at the track? Also, you might want to shift it manually at 5000 rpm when you get the TV cable set right.

Jim

It weighed in at 3450 w/out driver. It's got around 100lbs of audio junk in the trunk now. Your times are actually quite good for the car sitting idle for that amount of time. Get the transmission bugs worked out and the mph will pick up. Be ready to pull the transmission when you start hitting around 110mph through the traps.

Josh, you should be stoked to have a faster TR than I do currently.

Joe Spool said:
Congrats, good runs, although I think the MPH looks a tad low. I remember back in the day when these cars were new, most folks saw anywhere from 95 to 99 mph on the average. Chip and filter cars saw around 101-102 mph back then in my neck of the woods (I still have videos of these cars making passes from back in 87 and 88). What was the ambient temp when you were at the track? Also, you might want to shift it manually at 5000 rpm when you get the TV cable set right.

Jim

It's a column shift car, so manually shifting is kind of out of the question. The MPH does seem low to me, but I live in North carolina and the freaking ambient temp is always 90+ and the humidity is usually 90+. Later this year I will get some times with some cooler weather. There's just not alot of cooler weather to be had in NC in July.

Donnie said:
t weighed in at 3450 w/out driver. It's got around 100lbs of audio junk in the trunk now. Your times are actually quite good for the car sitting idle for that amount of time. Get the transmission bugs worked out and the mph will pick up. Be ready to pull the transmission when you start hitting around 110mph through the traps.

Why would I need to pull the trans?

Josh, you should be stoked to have a faster TR than I do currently.

Lol, what's got your car down right now?

I am stoked that I finally have something faster than you! Back in 2000 when you beat my WS6, that was the first loss I ever had in that car. Little did I know, it was only the first of many losses your damn car. Then, I bought a vette with about 100 more HP than the WS6, and you still freaking beat me. Finally, you pissed me off so bad that I went in on a TT Mustang with a buddy to take your ass out. Finally, after 4 years of seeing that Buicks tail lights, I managed to ride in something that beat you. All it took was 400 hours of labor, about $15,000 in parts, and a 91 Mustang.

So ya, I am stoked! Now go get yours going so you can come take the title from me!

I do believe that the red vette of yours stayed ahead of me. The car is without a a motor and trans right now. I got big plans, to try and stay ahead of the curve around here.

Your transmission will need to be rebuilt at the power level I was referring to, if it doesn't already need attention. Good luck and be safe in that car, there aren't many left like yours.

I just looked back over your post, I missed the hot and humid weather comment, you're right, that's tough weather to race these cars in. First time out with mine when it was basically just a "chip and filter" car it ran 101 mph in 95* summer heat, and it went 103-104 mph when I went back in late fall 55-60* weather.

I also concur with the tranny comment, when I got to the 111 mph area that I'm at now, the 1-2 shift started taking a loooooong time. I put in a B&M shift kit which helped a little, but the damage was done. Ask the tranny guys here, maybe putting in a shift kit to firm shifts up now before you start making more power may save the tranny later on.