Need input on 9 X 11 T/C's

1KWIK6

UNDER PRESSURE!!!
I'm very close to ordering one of these jewels, but I wanted some info from the 'GURU's first. Other than the "usual" bolt-ons, here is my combo:

1)Full weight '87 GN hardtop w/ 220# driver (Total = ~3650#)
2)TE-61 turbo w/PTE .63 housing
3)24-row, stock location i/c with 3" in/out
4)Champion ported intake and iron heads
5)SP 204/214 camshaft
6)THDP 3" w/dump
7)Dual 'XP' fuel pumps/72# FI's
8)VP C-16 gas and 24-27# boost w/24* timing

I am leaning towards a 3,200 stall 9 X 11 because I was told that the 3,200 thru 3,600 use the same stator. That way, I could bump it up to a 3,600 if I felt that it was too tight. I may also upgrade to a PT-70 turbo within the next 6 months. When choosing a t/c, I don't like one that hurts streetability too much. This car will be 75% street/25% track.

Any suggestions???? Part numbers please.:D

-PS- I am dead set on a lockup converter.

Not a "GURU" but I have a 9X11, 3200 stall. I'm using a pte52 which is roughly the same as a te-60,works well, but 3000 probably would have been sufficient. I believe there is a free re-stall included in the price within 1 year.

1Kwik, to get you set with a proper stall speed we would need to have a full spec sheet filled out. You can find it on our web site. There is one free restall within the first year, so if you do boost it more in that time span, it will be covered. Our 9X11 can be stalled anywhere from 1500 to 6000 rpm, so you are wide open on what you can do with it. Let us know if we can help any further. thanks, Mark :D

I just bought a car that "allegedly" has a new PTS 9x11 converter in it that won't lockup. The trans shop that did the rebuild and purchased the converter has replaced the lockup switch twice, and has ruled that out. I am confused because he said it was a PTS 9x11 but he said he also said he got it from a place in Indiana?? The only PTS that I know of is California or Arizona. :confused:

I need to order a new converter as whatever place this one came from would not warranty it on the word of the trans shop..they wanted to inspect it first which means the car is down for a few weeks....irritating to say the least. I think I am going to just buy a new one..that way I have no down time. I just haven't made up my mind what to buy....on the F-Body boards the Vigilante is king...on the TB boards the 9x11 rules. I dunno...I just want it to stall and lockup.

Ton of other things it could be other than the solenoid. You need to check the brake switch, lock-up valve, wiring, fuse in the panel, VSS sensor, pressure switches, plug on the side, and possibly the chip. Did you try to lock it manually with the paper clip method? Direct scan will tell you if it's being commanded to lock or not.

Yes Russ..thank you for that advice...all of which has been completed by the trans shop that built it. They have done all of that diagnostic work and deduced it has to be the converter...what can I say? It has been attempted to lock it manually...you can hear the solenoid click however no lock up. I can't tell you any more than that...it does stall correctly...just no lockup.

Yes unfortunately that looks like the case. :( I had my hopes up hoping it was going to be the switch under the dash and I would consider myself a genius for figuring that out....my plan didnt quite work out though. :D

I am trying to decide between the Precision and the PTS.

I vote for the 9/11 L/U also. I have a 3500 stall 9/11 and drive it to work every day it's nice out. 64 miles round trip. Love that convertor.

Blown, there is also a shop in Canada that is called TCS also. When they pull out your trans, have them check it to see if it is marked with PTS and an r/o and date. If not, it isn't one of ours. Either way, I am more than interested to know what it ends up being. If you hear the lock-up engage, yet the converter isn't locking up, then it is probably the converter itself and setting up a manual switch won't do any good. The other thing is, if you are missing the o'rings on the input shaft of the trans, that won't let the converter ground and will not lock it up either. Might have them check that out also. Mark

Good advice. I will check into it...the shop said it came from Indiana. Do you have a distributor there? I will check into the O-Ring thing...I am probably going to be buying one in the next couple of weeks....I just got it though and I don't want to take it off the road right yet.

We do have a vendor in Chicago and one in Ohio also. Maybe he was confused as to where he bought it. Like I said, let us know what's up. thanks, Mark:D

Hey Blown, I totally blew it on my last post. The o ring doesn't have to do with grounding the converter for the lock-up. Blame it on drug, my stupidity, or any combination there of, but disregard it and accept my apologies. A mind is a terrible thing to waste, and obviously mine was wasted once to often. LOL, Mark