Need help

Have you tried my suggestion yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, not yet, last night I put the stock MAF back on to see if the translator was the issue. If I didn't know better I would say it feels like it's running on 5 cylinders once you go past 3/4 throttle.

Also, I am getting plenty of fuel 43# at idle and it goes up to around 55# when I get the RPM's up.

No, not yet, last night I put the stock MAF back on to see if the translator was the issue. If I didn't know better I would say it feels like it's running on 5 cylinders once you go past 3/4 throttle.

Also, I am getting plenty of fuel 43# at idle and it goes up to around 55# when I get the RPM's up.
Sounds like the spark is being quenched.....

Okay, after much frustration I took my car to Aggressive Performance, Bruce determined that the problem is that my cam is shot and that it dropped a lobe. So I need to go through the engine and of course get a new cam kit. So my new questions are:

1. Should I stick with a flat tappet cam or upgrade to roller?
2. What cam is best either direction for my current modifications (I am not looking to add many other mods).
3. Since I will have the engine apart, should I leave the heads alone, have them ported, or upgrade to aftermarket set?

Perhaps it's time to call Bison.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in or will chime in after this post. Having a team of people to bounce this shit off of sure does make it easier!

I am still running a flat tappet 212/212, mainly cause it was already there w/ no problems but roller is the way to go, as far as heads go let your wallet be your guide...

Should I stick with a flat tappet cam or upgrade to roller?
2. What cam is best either direction for my current modifications (I am not looking to add many other mods).
3. Since I will have the engine apart, should I leave the heads alone, have them ported, or upgrade to aftermarket set?
overall goal with the car is key here but I would go with a small roller and port and polish your iron heads while the motor is out.

I am still running a flat tappet 212/212, mainly cause it was already there w/ no problems but roller is the way to go, as far as heads go let your wallet be your guide...

I hear ya... I am leaning towards roller, but I don't want to spend unnecessarily. Many guys are running flat tappet cams without issue, the roller cams, require more hardware and is likely 2x the cost.

overall goal with the car is key here but I would go with a small roller and port and polish your iron heads while the motor is out.

Overall goal was to enjoy the car on the street. Like many before me, I was allured by combos and since there is no sense looking backwards I will only go from here. I believe I have the majority of what I need to create a pretty stout street car.

When you say small roller... do you have anything specific in mind? Brand, grind #'s, etc.?

Okay, after much frustration I took my car to Aggressive Performance, Bruce determined that the problem is that my cam is shot and that it dropped a lobe. So I need to go through the engine and of course get a new cam kit. So my new questions are:

1. Should I stick with a flat tappet cam or upgrade to roller?

Perhaps it's time to call Bison.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in or will chime in after this post. Having a team of people to bounce this shit off of sure does make it easier!

I don't know Brad at Aggressive performance but I would get a second opinion from a Turbo Regal guy (maybe Brad is).
I have had wiped cam lobes in these cars. It never acted as you described. If anything it was the opposite. My wiped cam lobes were very pronounced at idle and part throttle situations. Under boost it acted normal.
A wiped cam love is a mechanical failure. I don't see how it would only present it self above 3/4 throttle.
Just my opinion.
How did he come to this conclusion?
Did you spend 30 minutes and $0 and try what I advised? Just curious if it had any affect.

I don't know Brad at Aggressive performance but I would get a second opinion from a Turbo Regal guy (maybe Brad is).
I have had wiped cam lobes in these cars. It never acted as you described. If anything it was the opposite. My wiped cam lobes were very pronounced at idle and part throttle situations. Under boost it acted normal.
A wiped cam love is a mechanical failure. I don't see how it would only present it self above 3/4 throttle.
Just my opinion.
How did he come to this conclusion?
Did you spend 30 minutes and $0 and try what I advised? Just curious if it had any affect.

Bruce owns Aggressive and is a pretty well known Turbo Buick shop. We did try your recommendation and saw no noticeable change. Let me explain my comment a little better:

So when I brought it to Bruce he made the comment that the car did not sound right. He initially made the comment that there was an issue with the car and it did not sound normal, nor did it drive normal. Upon checking all of the normal external items which all came up empty.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just know who you are dealing with, if they are well-known rest assured someone here will have heard of them...

When you say small roller... do you have anything specific in mind? Brand, grind #'s, etc.?
Well I would prefer to not go to specific about the cams but i will say I have seen lots of the small rollers run into the 9 sec range so there are several choices,I dont know how much power you want to make .since the car is at a buick shop now I'm sure they will have their preference.