My 86 Grand National 5.3 LSX RestoRace Build

86GN5.3

So I do not expect this to be a quick procedure but I decided I need to focus my extra energy on the car that I have put off for five years now. The car has previously run a best of 11.5 @ 126 w/ the 3.8 until I smoked my rings being stupid on the highway w/ a viper. The block has previously already been bored .030 so I really do not want to do a build w/ this block for big boost. I picked up a 07+ brand new 5.3 iron block for $99 so I decided to build it for this car instead of my Camaro. I plan to also test my body and painting skills that I have learned at the same time which I figure will be perfect as it is mostly labor in prep while I am waiting for funds to do the engine build. The car currently has a built 200-4r w/ transbrake from Las Vegas Performance Transmission w/ 3200 stall converter which I plan to make work behind the new engine and the stock differential which are supposed to be one of the only good rear ends GM did from what I have heard. My goal will be to do a truck manifold turbo setup which I see myself setting up following the factory GN turbo hot side routing (Driver side manifold facing rear w/ crossover under the engine to the passenger side w/ manifold facing forward and downpipe exiting along passenger side. I might change my mind and have them both face forward but I will decide once I get done with the longblock. I would like to place the turbo as close as I can to the factory location to simplify my setup because I already have a decent front mount w/piping that I can cut and reweld to fit. I also am going to attempt to fabricate a downpipe or modify my current one that will reconnect to the ATR exhaust I already have on the car. I plan to build the engine w/ the mindset that a turbo can make any engine fast as long as the engine has good internals and the right octane (e85) for my application. I will use a stock crank, forged rods+pistons, stock 99 Camaro cam and stock 243 ls6 heads and possibly my Camaros Fast 90/90 at first or to buy an Edelbrock manifold. I am going to go with a Summit Fuel Cell w/ there 450gph inline pump and boost referenced regulator w/ Siemens 80lb hr lsx injectors to run e85.

The turbo I plan to use for the build is one of the Precision 6765 CEA turbos rated at 900 hp with the v band inlet and v band downpipe.

GrandNational1.jpg
GrandNational2.jpg
GrandNational3.jpg
GrandNational4.jpg
GrandNational5.jpg
GrandNational6.jpg
GrandNational7.jpg
GrandNational8.jpg
GrandNational9.jpg
GrandNational10.jpg

If anyone was wondering I do have a complete interior with some pieces better than others and do plan to part it out once I assess what I want to get for it. I will be selling the 3.8 and other parts I do not need but want to wait a bit until I can get everything together that I have.

Cool. I would suggest taking a peek into that transmission unless Len built it a long time ago. His quality of work has gone decidedly downhill in the last couple of years...Plus a turbo ls motor is going to make quite a bit of power.

Neat project, I look forward to watching this progress.

Cool. I would suggest taking a peek into that transmission unless Len built it a long time ago. His quality of work has gone decidedly downhill in the last couple of years...Plus a turbo ls motor is going to make quite a bit of power.

Neat project, I look forward to watching this progress.

It was built before I bought it. The date on the bellhousing is 3-13-03 and I bought the car in June 2004 and its been parked since about October 2004. The guy I bought the car from claimed that he only drove the car on weekends rarely and to the track. The car has 83551 original miles and all the body stuff looks really good for the 25 year old car w/ original paint. It shifted great when I bought it and launched really hard off the brake so I am willing to roll the dice and try it. I can build my own transmissions so if it slips or breaks under the power I will build a th400 for it if it looks bad when I tear it down.

Great build. We have a stockpile of 5.3's down at the shop we got a great deal on a year ago and are going to do something with them sooner or later.

Dash kit is for sale in the same thread as seats. I also went ahead and posted most of the interior in the same thread as the seats.