Motor Rebuild

87TIGN

Death by boost
Ok so I havent posted in awhile due to life never giving me a break :D I have a big problem fellas. I dont know if any of you remember I have been having some serious "knock" issues and have tried just about everything. I finally took it to my buddy who is a mechanic for a diagnosis and well its not pretty. There is alot of noise coming from my camshaft area which is most likely cam bearings or my cam is flatening out. Good news is there is no metal shavings in my oil yet and appears to be no major damage to the motor itself. I am planning on pullin the motor to do the cam bearings but while I have it out I am gonna rebuild it. I need some ideas as to how to go. I have approx 3000 to play with give or take and I would like to make it an 11-12 sec car. Suggestions, tips, advice?
Thanks
-Andrew

Spend the $3,000 on an engine rebuild. No need for exotic parts, just a high grade stock rebuild. TRW or similar forged pistons, 206 / 206 hydraulic camshaft, GM lifters, Good timing chain, New oil pump & front cover, rebuild the heads with good springs & if the budget allows a little cleanup on the heads & intake. Your TA-49 with ALKY on a good stock engine will easily make high 11 sec HP.

So do you think I should use all ARP studs and bolts instead of stockers? How about going forged rods or are our stock rods good for 25-26psi boost? Any weakpoints I should address while I am in there? Should I not go roller cam and rockers just stockers? What was stock lift on a GN cam?

the other poster's advice is sound...if your budget is 3k just do a solid stock rebuild...once you start going for forged rods...roller cams...one thing leads to the next and you cant do one thing without the other and your 3k will easily become 10k...thats my story anyway :eek: hehe...good luck...noah.

Where can I find stock camshaft and lifters that are new? Mine is going flat and summit only has ones taht are like 260 duration and .459 lift

Where can I find stock camshaft and lifters that are new? Mine is going flat and summit only has ones taht are like 260 duration and .459 lift

Here is a link to Weber racing & there 206 camshaft. Nice cam for stock type rebuilds & combo's were you don't want to raise the powerband of the engine.

Weber Racing Equipment Inc.

They are also a good source for anything you may need during your rebuild. I would recommend good fasteners (arp rod bolts, headbolts) & balancing the engine also. The TRW forged pistons are heavier than stock.... but durable. Keep it basic with quality parts & you should certainly be able to do it for your $3,000 budget & have a good running, strong engine that should last.