Metal in oil filter

Tim Barnum

I cut my oil filter up to check for metal. I found alot of aluminum and very little megnetic dabris in the filter. Is this normal on a new motor? What should i do? Thanks Tim

How is your Oil pressure?More than likely the aluminum is from the bearings.,how much is alot? How tight were your clerances when you assebled the motor? The 1st few thousand miles the engine will break in and do this but "alot" could be a problem.keep an eye on your oil press. how many miles are on the engine and how long did you wait before leaning on the motor after the build up?

Aluminium in filter

Are you using the production style oil pump in the front cover,because this could be the source if the gears rub on the plate. The main & rod bearings are babit not aluminium. Did the cam spin freely in the block after the bearings were installed. They are aluminium also & can weld to the cam &spin in the block. James.

Tim,

One thing to check is the clearance between the underside of the rocker arm and the OD of the valve spring/retainer. The Stage II heads use a large dia spring and there is the possibility of interference at this point. Could be a source of the aluminum debris.

Good Luck

Neal

There isn't a whole bunch of aluminum maybe about 40 very small flakes. I have a dutweiler oil pump on the front cover. Now that i think about it the valve covers were very close the the roller rockers. I'll check the clearance on them. The oil pressure is at 20psi average at idol when it is warmed up. I drove it about 500 miles before i got on it. I'll check the filter again in about 100 miles. I'm going to dyno the car this weekend if the filter checks out ok.Thanks Tim

Tim, Keep in mind also that you will probably need to change the oil in your motor often. I use Mobil1 and change it every 1000 miles at the most! When your making the HP per cubic inch that these engines do its good to change the oil often.If im not mistaken I believe to have read that fellow racer Geno changes his oil after every race event!
Something to keep in mind when trying to preserve that High $$$ Mill!:cool:

I took out the power seats. Installed a fiberglass hood and trunk lid. Removed the gas tank. Removed the power sunroof and the crash bars in the doors and the radio and speakers. I also removed windshield wiper motor and removed the steel bumper supports and several other useless items.:D Well I guess I'll break out the cutting torch next.:eek: Back to lightening the car. Tim

Originally posted by 750H.P.V6
Tim,

One thing to check is the clearance between the underside of the rocker arm and the OD of the valve spring/retainer. The Stage II heads use a large dia spring and there is the possibility of interference at this point. Could be a source of the aluminum debris.

Good Luck

Neal

Boy ive seen that more than once alright:)