Mechanical Oil Pres.gauge

L

LTD-T

Where is the best/easiest place to connect the 1/8 inch copper
tube? I have installed the gauge in my dash but am unsure about the best location to make the plumbing connection.

There are two fairly conventional ways to plumb the oil tubing to the existing tee for the turbo oil supply line and o.e. oil sender;

1.) Replace the existing factory sender with an adaptor into the factory tee and connect your tubing there. (My personal preference with plastic tubing to the console-mounted gauge).

2.) Install another tee between the factory sender and the existing tee and screw your ferrule adaptor in.

No leaks here using Mobil One 5w30 going on 3 years.

HTH, Jim

I ran mine to the fitting on top of the turbo, it can be routed under a heat shielf if you still use one.

Need the proper adapter to do it and a slight bend modification to the oil feed line to the turbo.

There is also supposed to be a 1/8" NPT plug in the side of the block (drivers?) that you can use. I saw mine once when I was under the car.

Make sure the copper line is secured well as it heat cycles and can stress crack.

I would stay away from the nylon tubing. It will get brittle over time due to the heat under the hood and being close to the motor. It can cause big problems. You can use small stainless braided line or copper line. The fittings will not leak if installed properly.

That's kinda true about getting brittle, to overcome that I ran the plastic line inside a lengthy piece of vacume line.

Thanks for the tips on the nylon tubing. I use plastic split-sleeve, secured with tie-wraps, to protect it on my summer-only car.

Copper line ain't no bargain either. They both have their downsides. I like the nylon. What I don't like about it is that it's a PIA to uncoil it. Anybody know an easy way to straighten that stuff out so it stays straight?

plastic tubing of any kind seems potentially dangerous to me.

Hard tube (copper) could work OK, watch for kinking and allow adequate space for movement (eg engine torquing over).

Any repetitive stress or movement where copper tube enters a fitting will eventually result in fatigue and cracking of the tube. The tube might have to be clamped down to prevent this.

I used SS braided teflon tube in the smallest size (-3), with AN fittings. More expensive, but easy to snake thru, and it is dureable and safe.

I've been living on the edge using nylon tubing for over twenty years. I did have a mishap once, though. :rolleyes: