Max Effort timing question.

BLACK6PACK

1 sec reaction King
Guys,
I am in the process of ordering the ME 16, along with an EGT and DS.

My question is what base timing should I get for 93 & C116.

90% of the time I am going to be running alky and 93 octane. The other 10% I will be running c116 and making bonsai passes trying to get this beast into the 10s. Based on my combo (sig) what do you think I should do. Steve suggests 18* & 24* or 18* & 26*.

I had him go mine with 21 and 24. If you are going to run alky "all" the time on the street 21 degrees is what you want. If you plan on doing some 93 pump gas with no alky 18 degrees is what you want. As for the upper race setting how much boost do you want to run? If ultra high 24 is fine. Less boost and 26 would be the better choice for off the line.

You might talk to him about the variable timing option on the alky..starting down at 19 or so and ramping up in timing seems to help alleviate the problem of transiitional knock when hitting it from cruising.

Thanks for the input guys. Any other valuable info you want to send my way? I don't know the ME very well, just what I read on the site. Also my setup has only been to the track and the chip I had wasn't good, so I decided I didn't want to send it back and forth until I got it right.

A phone call to Steve Y will put your mind at ease. He knows there are a zillion Q's regarding the ME TW chip. He asks you more questions about your combo etc... than you would expect. Either via e-mail, or the phone, you will feel worlds better about the mysterious ME after a few minutes of his time. :) The best bucks you'll spend on your car imo.
Jim

Steve likes boost and not timing so much.

For alky. timing I would go with what you can run safely now with your alky. and street chip.

I run 18* (no alky) & 26 with C16. In race trim and C16 at 26 degrees I've run 24-25 lbs boost with good fuel of course.

Good Luck

I am glad this topic was posted. I am in the process of ordering a ME myself. I decided on 18 and 24. I plan on running 25-26lbs with C16 at the track and 93 on the street.

I was just shooting back and forth some emails to Steve when he said that there will no longer be an EGR and 02 needed. I don't have a problem with that, what I didn't expect was that he said that I will no longer have wastegate solenoid control. I have a $150 boost commander that works through the stock solenoid, and I love it. I don't want to give up this option. What is a person to do.

you use the bsctC to control the solenoid but you don't connect the wire from the ecm that goes thru the bsctC.

Not a problem...

Steve Y,
Just sent me an e-mail saying that the BstC should work fine.

Steve W,
Dang your good!!! OK, I had no problem hooking up the BstC, but I was following directions. Are you saying I will need to unhook a wire that is now hooked up?

`yeah...at the moment there is one wire that carries the boost command from the ecm to the solenoid that you cut and attached to the the bstC....you disconnect that and the ecm will not longer try to control the solenoid....only the BoostC will do it so you must use it all the time.

Steve Y uses the wastegate wires for a shift lite or alky solenoid or something other than boost control.

I am guessing that it is a purple/white wire but I am not sure...If Mark or Jesse does not chime in, I will try to find the instructions to the BStC....anyway, it is very simple...if you disconnect one wire from the ecm to the BstC...then only the BstC will drive the solenoid.

I think I know the wire you are talking about. It was the only wire that was actually cut and then ran through the boost commander. So I just need to cut the wire going from the ecm to the bstc, or always have the boost commander on, right?

While I'm at it, I need to order the SMC EGT and Direct Scan. The only place I have found the SMC EGT is precision. I emailed SMC but never heard back. Is there another good vendor that needs some support?

I bought mine straight from SMC....Steve C may be gone at the moment...he is usually good about getting back. PTE had them $10 bucks off a month or two ago.

Yeah, it is the wire from the BstC to the ecm that you cut....just use the BstC to control boost so it will be on all the time.