Max Effort, DS & EGT questions

BLACK6PACK

1 sec reaction King
I'm looking at getting some more scanning/tuning tools. I now have a pte54, 55s, v4, ac3500nl, ported and polished heads and the usual mods, oh and a scanmaster.

Now that I have stepped up to a bigger setup, I need to keep a closer eye on what is going on. I plan to make bonzi pass pretty soon and want to try to get close to the 10s.

I am looking at getting Direct Scan for recording the run, Max Effort for tuning, and an EGT.

Should I get the 16 position thumbwheel or the 8?

I'm looking at DS over TL due to the faster update.

Anybody have the SMC EGT? If so do you like it?

Need some input. Trying to get this all set up for a track rental in 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Brad

16 pos. and Direct Scan. I think the 8's are for smaller injectors and combos.

EGT and or Wideband O2 will help ya tune for sure.

I'm picking up the Westach EGT and someday will get a wideband O2.

Salvage is right as far as the 8 or 16 Q on the ME. Your 50's will need the 16 position. You will be amazed at what you can do with this chip! I use Direct Scan for racing/tuning and the ability to see EXACTLY where you are lean or fat with DS and have the ability to make the correct changes with the MaxEffort is like having a chip burner riding shotgun every run...an uncomparable combo imo. Since the ME doesn't refference the O2 sensor for anything you can put in your EGT, install a new O2 sensor and learn how the 2 readings compare to one another and then when you O2 sensor dies, don't worry about it as you will be tuning to EGT #'s instead of O2 #'s. It's one hell of a set-up that defies comparison IMO.
Good Luck
Jim

I have the SMC EGT gauge and I am happy with it. I used the velcro strap that came with it and strapped it through the 2 vents above the radio pod so it is easy to see when I am racing and/or tuning the car.

I also use Directscan and I highly recommend it at your performance level. Couple those with the ME 16 and you've got an awesome tuning package.

Thanks guys, just what I needed to hear. So whats the difference in the Westtach EGT and the SMC EGT?