Machine shop prices

turboclam

What does it cost to...

Mag? What exactly is that?
Sonic check? What exactly is the process?
Clean or vat??? Not sure what vat means
Hone cylinders?
Bore cylinders?
Bore cylinders with a torque plate?
Deck the block?
Deck the pan rail?
Align hone?
Align hone or bore with torque plates?
Install cam bearings?
Turn a crank?
Resize rods?
Press pins?
Install rings?
Balancing?
Install freeze plugs?
Drill out larger oil holes on #2 and #3 mains?
Check clearances and assemble a short block?
Assemble and install a blueprinted front timing cover?
Check cam play and adjust for thrust...or roller cam end play?

Some of my definitions are rough but I'm just taking a stab. I think this info would be very useful to someone getting their hands dirty for the first or second time. You know what they say....if you don't know how to work on a TR then you don't need to own one.
Please add to if I'm missing something. Seems like a lot of guys including myself rebuild an engine here or there. Would be nice to know some competitive prices to how much this stuff usually goes for. Maybe make it a Sticky? Thanks!

I ve had a block cleaned and magged from a napa store (sent out to machine shop) for about $100. prices can vary considerably depending on who the engine builder is and what part of the country they re in.

Thanks 49...

that helps.

Also wanted to ask, what does a machine shop charge to get a block prepped for a girdle? Like chaving the caps...

I think location has a lot to do with it.
As of Friday this is what I was quoted for work.
Hot tank block $40
Deck block $100
Resurface heads $55
Hone cylinders $50
Bore cylinders $100
Line hone main bore main $100
Hone main bore $50
Install freeze plugs $40
Install cam bearings $20
Balance rotating assembly $200
Remove old pistons from rods and install new ones $50
This is all I wrote down for some reason so this is all I can list. Hope it helps.
I can say this he said to install billet caps it would be a little more than the normal $150 to have the main bored and honed. He said he had just did a block for someone with a STD bore and billet caps and the total bill was $500 that was with the block decked honed cam bearings and freeze plugs installed.
On a side note as soon as I decide what I’m going to do Ill post the brake down of the work here for you.

I just got these today from my guy today!

Hot Tank Block - $55
Bore and Hone - $150
Hone Only - $80
Press Pistons - $60
Clean Pistons - $36
Re-Ring Pistons - $24
Install CB - $25
Assemble s/b $150
Install Heads w/parts - $100
Dissemble - $100

So as you can see prices will vary but you should be in the same neighborhood I would think.

girdle

Around $200 to prepare block to accept girdle.
There is some welding involved
machining caps
My guy does some work on pan rail surface,

It depends entirely on location and shop. When I did my first block in the 80's I took it to Rhere & Morrison. This was in the 80's and it cost me $600 to bore the block by itself. I was building a road car for the track and decided to go with the guys that did the Indy blocks. There are less expensive shops that can do it now thank God.

You all got it good back east. Try almost double those prices for a pro machinist to do your work here in Cali.

Lol. 9 months ago is a pretty long time for a thread bringback. I was just teasin' ya. Pump the brakes sister lol.

... You know what they say....if you don't know how to work on a TR then you don't need to own one... Thanks!

yeah some dudes will tell you to find another hobby. I suppose they are the only ones who were born knowing all there is to know about TR's.
This cannot be made a sticky since prices will vary greatly accross the nation. Unless a vendor decided to post their prices and people use that vendor, all the newbies like us will have to do the leg work locally everytime.
I just don't like how this local shop wants to do all the extras to my block when the only services I require are cleaning and pressure testing it. I want to know if the block is any good before I spend the big bucks. They want me to spend the big bucks first. Guess I'll have to try the town 40 miles away. It will still be cheaper to drive it down there if they do only what I ask.

I brought one of my blocks to a napa store to have it cleaned and magged and they sent it out to a local engine building shop-cost $100.