LS swap...wiring question

STP

Narrow A$$ Racing
Almost done with my LS swap, but have a question concerning adapting the LS harness into the car. I need to find a wire that carries 12v when ign is on and while cranking in the stock 87' body harness. I'm assuming this wire would be at the base of the steering column, but have no idea what wire it is. Without being able to put power to the car, I can't locate it by testing wires. Can anyone shed any light as to which wire I need to tie into? Thx Scott

". Without being able to put power to the car, I can't locate it by testing wires"

Does your VOM have a beep signal capability, for testing continuity??
That's what I use. No need for 12v on the harness, if you have that. I made good use of the feature while installing the LQ9 in my 55 Cheby...

Hrm, I don't know if it beeps or not...Really don't know that testing continuity is going to help me though, as I don't know what wire I should be testing. :p

The rest of the install has been pretty straight forward...This one has me stumped though. Not sure if I'm reading the instructions right or not. A PNK Hot in Run and Start (IGN/INJ Bank 1 15A) is what I'm questioning. Do I need to just put switched 12v to it, or do I have to find a wire in the factory Buick harness that provides 12v when switched on AND while cranking???

I have some Buick chassis manuals that I could go through, but it would be sometime next year before I fired the car if I go that route!! Those things are thick...

Ohh yea....one more thing...Hey Chuck!!

ing wire

Hook it to the pink wire coming off the steering column. On my car there was a 12 gage pink wire on the engine side of the fire wall, but I started with a carbed 87 regal.

"Ohh yea....one more thing...Hey Chuck!!"...

Ohh yea..1 mor thing....Hey Scott! I'll look at my service manual. I have gone thru it and thrown out about 60% of the non applicable pages. And, at my age, I'll have to hurry, to get thru what's left!

Well, enlighten us old timer...What's the secret to life? : ) You still doing the injector thing??

FWIW, the car starts/runs fine with the trigger wire for the starter relay wired directly into one of the fuse panel IGN slots...I thought it would, but didn't know for sure. Hence the reason for this post prior to wiring the car. Now gotta get the 5.3 out of it and the 6.0 in!!

Makes sense on the pink wire at the steering column, as all GM solid pink wires are 12V switched...I may hard wire it there at a later date. Thx for the help fellas..Trying to get this thing to Reynolds end of next month.

My secret..

Well, enlighten us old timer...What's the secret to life? : ) You still doing the injector thing??

FWIW, the car starts/runs fine with the trigger wire for the starter relay wired directly into one of the fuse panel IGN slots...I thought it would, but didn't know for sure. Hence the reason for this post prior to wiring the car. Now gotta get the 5.3 out of it and the 6.0 in!!

Makes sense on the pink wire at the steering column, as all GM solid pink wires are 12V switched...I may hard wire it there at a later date. Thx for the help fellas..Trying to get this thing to Reynolds end of next month.

I found out how to keep my blood psi below the explosion point... I sold my GN!:eek::p
Now, my hair is growing back in, I'm back to benching 400#, etc, etc....:D

The "injector thing" is like the rest of the economy........in the toilet.:frown:

C U @ Reynolds!.. I'll be the guy driving the 55 Chebby.:cool:

Looking forward to it...You have any pics floating around of the 55'?

Reynolds

Now i have a reason to go to Reynolds..i want to see that 55 Chuck.....Bob

Desktoppointers-429x302.jpg

Here is some pointers. Just kidding

Good luck with your wifes upgrade.

Looking forward to it...You have any pics floating around of the 55'?

Scott
Is this the return of the MAYTAG White Wonder... with a 6.0 in it? I still got my SVO and I am considering LS or GN engine... Anything to piss of SVO Paul and his group :)

Almost done with my LS swap, but have a question concerning adapting the LS harness into the car. I need to find a wire that carries 12v when ign is on and while cranking in the stock 87' body harness. I'm assuming this wire would be at the base of the steering column, but have no idea what wire it is. Without being able to put power to the car, I can't locate it by testing wires. Can anyone shed any light as to which wire I need to tie into? Thx Scott

The fuse block has few places. If you cut one of the wires in the pic from a donor (80's) car and splice the wire you want to feed you can connect this to fuse block by simply inserting into one of the slots on fuse block that says IGN. Some of these connectors can be stacked.

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 121