Looking for good "all around" tires

tminer

Not quite normal
I have 16x7" 0 offset wheels. I am looking at 245/50-16 and 255/50-16 sizes. No snow/ice driving. As close to 26" as possible.

I have Dunlop SP Sport 8000. I like them, but if there is something better that is price competitive, I'd be interested. The Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra and BFG g-force KDW look like possibilities. Any opinions or suggestions?

I want handling and straightline traction. I'd like to get at least 10,000 miles even with a lead foot (limited tire spinning).

Thanks,
Tom

I've heard good things about the Kumho. Best price for a performance tire. It is a "W" rated tire. It does not have a soft rubber compound compared to "Z" rated tires. You're weighing handling vs treadwear. Take your pick?

Tee

Originally posted by tminer

I want handling and straightline traction. I'd like to get at least 10,000 miles even with a lead foot (limited tire spinning).

Thanks,
Tom

Then why are you bothering with regular tires? Get some Nitto drag radials. They corner BETTER than regular tires because the tread is so sticky, they obviously work excellent in a straight line, and yes you can get 10k miles with a lead foot, easier actually since they don't spin everywhere when you hit the gas. They handle as well or better in the rain than regular tires (unless bald, but then again all tires suck when bald). They ride and drive 99% like normal tires (there is a very slight loss of ride quality and the car very slightly 'floats' more on the road, but you'd have to be very astute to notice either of these honestly).

I used to put regular tires on my TA because my only experience with dot legal drag tires was mccreary cheater slicks that are nothing like nittos and I didn't like them. Within 5 minutes of having the nittos on the car, I was grinning from ear to ear. I LOVE the nittos, they're awesome tires. Every fast car I own from now on will always have a pair on the rear. (my t-type has mickey thompson i-treads which suck, they were on the car when I bought it).

Also, I don't know what your GN has done to it or how fast it is.. but regular tires on either of my cars would be literally dangerous. Floor it in 1st or 2nd gear in my trans am on regular radials and you are going sideways across 3 lanes out of control. Think my t-type is any better? It's probably making 100 ft-lbs torque more at the wheels, at like half the rpm. When it bangs 2nd it goes completely sideways on the i-treads (which when warmed up hook at least as well as nittos).

Go with the Nittos. The other drag radials all compromise streetability. The nittos give up basically nothing.

I currently have BFG Comp TA's ZR and I cannot believe how good they feel. They hokk pretty damn good too, considering they are a regular radial. I have no idea what the tread life is on them since I haven't had them that long.

Kumho Ecsta Supra's
They are W rated
Rated Traction 'A' Temperature 'A'
I have P245/50WR16 on the front and P255/50WR16 on the rear
I paid $87@ for the 245's and $92@ for the 255's from the Tire Rack.
I ordered on a Monday morning and they were waiting for me at lunch time on Tuesday. I think the total with shipping for all 4 was $389 which to me was a killer deal. They are an awesome deal for handling!

Thanks.

I would prefer a stiffer sidewall than DRs have.

Hopefully I am in the 400-450 HP range and have a D5 at stock stall as far as I know. Also heavy car and driver. The SP 8000 don't seem dangerous at all. So far they don't break loose once they hook after the 1-2 shift.

I thought the Kumho Ecsta Supra was AA traction. But aren't those ratings pretty subjective, as in the manufacturer does their own rating? Since the SP8000 are 200/A/A, I was hoping that the Kumho might have more grip AND more wear.

I'd like some feedback on the BFG KDW as they look great on paper. I'd also be inclined to buy American, all else being equal.

Tom

TMiner-

IMO Kumho's unless they are the VictoRacer's are junk and priced accordingly. You won't get 10K miles out of them as my friend wasted 2 sets of them in 7K miles and he doesn't do burnouts on his Stang.

Yoko AVS's are good for the price and handle well.

If you really want a handling tire then get the Bridestone Potenza S-03's. $159/tire in 245/45/16 size.... they make a 50 series also. These tires are awesome and are on my car right now. I have coilovers and the tires are soooo nice.

I also have Nitto DR's on another set of rims and under normal tire inflation traction is good and handling is good. However; when aired down and a nice burnout is done they really stick and can't be touched for all around convenience/safety as far as a true street tire goes..

If handling is more important to you than traction.... get the S-03's or AVS's. If vice versa get the Nitto DR's.

GNX7

Its sounds like gnx7 is the expert, so listen to him :rolleyes:
I have had great luck with my Kumhos....that includes doing quite a few burnouts at some of the cruises I have taken my GN to.
I have also been able to take some tight off ramps at 70+ mph with them. I cant say I was ever able to do that with the BFG's I had before and I know Goodyears wont do that with their excessively stiff sidewalls. The real test will be when I take the car to Limerock next month and to a few of the local autocrosses.
I have never owned Bridgestones on a GN, so I couldnt tell you how they would be, much like gnx7 has never owned a GN with them. But in all fairness, everyone that has driven my car loved them and there are quite a few guys that have bought them around here after driving mine. For the money, you just cant beat them...especially when 4 will set you back $390 compared to $640. Good luck with your choice.
Btw, I looked into Yokohama AVS Intermediates before I bought the Kumho's and they have been discountinued in the 245 and 255 sizes.