looking for a combat/home defense shotgun

There is a Chinese made copy of the old 1894 Winchester pump. Best part about that particular model is that it has an exposed hammer, so that even with a round chambered it cannot fire withoutmanually cocking it. Of course, it cocks automatically when the slide is racked. One version even has a bayonet lug. Norinco Model 97 Trench Gun 12g 20"

I use 00 buckshot,
my experience with a slug.... usually puts holes in walls, doors, etc, usually does NOT hit intended target.
00 buck is 8- .32 caliber rounds, usually DOES hit intended target.

just my experience.

Try aiming next time! remember float the bead!:tongue:

mossberg 930spx 12Ga will get the job done. 8shot semiauto.point and unleash hell!you can check them out on youtube.you will not a finer home defense shotgun.used by U.S. NAVY SEAL TEAMS.

Have a Mossburg 500, but recently upgraded to the Benelli M4. I have one of there Super Black Eagle and love it.

Attachments

• m4-pistolgrip-large.jpg
    m4-pistolgrip-large.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 211
I've got a Remington 870 Marine Mag. 18" barrel, 6+1 I bought it at the gun show for $589.

thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I am doing my window shopping and reading now and will get something soon :)

I only own a NEF 12 ga break open...supposed to be the Pardner model, but came with the Survivor furniture....I agree about the Mossbergs, my father has one of the 500s, with the .410 barrel (wuss..lol) and i've been seeing similar pop up for bout $175+ depending on condition from gun shows and pawn stores...pretty good bang for the buck as well, since parts are everywhere, accessories even more so :) also kind of looking for a pump action shotgun for myself, so i can give my brother the single shot one.

I have both the Mossberg 500 (w/ slug barrel) and a "Mariner" Mossberg 590... both have nice smooth actions & have always shot well at the range (haven't needed 'em at home yet thank god!)

My defense load of choice is #1 buckshot... actually has more damage potential than 00 & less chance for overpenetration. Here's a good writeup: Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition

Mossberg

this is what i bought my mother for the house. its a great shotgun IMOP and its short which makes it nice for the house.

Mossberg 500 Cruiser

54125.jpg

This is the exact shotgun I have down to the door breach. The breach may have no practical use but sure adds to the cool factor. Fun to shoot and hides easily in the bed rails. Paid 329 at the local gun show about 5 mths ago. Oh, check out budsguns or gunbroker for deals too.

I use 00 buckshot,
my experience with a slug.... usually puts holes in walls, doors, etc, usually does NOT hit intended target.
00 buck is 8- .32 caliber rounds, usually DOES hit intended target.

just my experience.

00 buck is the way to go I think as well:biggrin:

NEVER USE BUCK SHOT INSIDE A BUILDING IF YOUR FAMILY IS IT IT!!!
Sorry but this is a sore subject for me.:redface: #8 or 7.5 is the way to go. If you hit the target it will be very messed up to say the least. 00 or 000 buck will penatrate 3 to 4 sheets of drywall and can hit an unintended target like your kids or wife. The lighter shot will make it through the first layer of sheet rock and barely go through the second so you don't have to worry about a family member or the neighbor.:) Do some reaserch if you don't believe me. You're in an enclosed area and CQB requires you to be careful. If you're not sure the bird shot will still take down someone and won't hurt anyone in the next room.

Sorry, that 1894 should read 1897. Typo.

I've got quite a few weapons where I live, including an actual 1897 Winchester. They have a unique sound when it's cycled. The trench gun used in WWI is why the Marines have the nick name of " De Tufflehund". It means loosely "the devil dogs" because it was used to clear trenches. Send one man in loaded with 000 Buck, slide him over the edge of the trench, and let him unload. It did an amazing job and never failed to function. The Chineese ones need to be worked a little to make it as smooth as my original but it only takes a few hundred rounds for it to loosen up.:biggrin:

shotty

it reaslly depends on what you budget it, 00 is the best to go and can go shoulder or pistol grip, dependable and rarely jams unless you don't keep it clean. i also forgot to mention S & W makes one that is for home defense and i saw one and had my chance to pick up it in stainless for 250. Still kicking myself for that one. simular to the the mossboesg and name backs it up. just take it to the range a few time before you have to use it. gives you idea of kick and how it works. you have a wide rage and brands so just take you time and read up on them. worst thing you can do is not try it and have a need it and not knowing what and if it works. if your a small guy you may go 20 gauage as the kick isn't so bad. just practice if you haven't with your new gun so you get used to it. i wouldn't go slug as it's a one shot if needed and you don't want to miss if needed. if it's for home defense i'd go mossberg 500 series as the cost isn't high and you can alaways upgrade. way too many brands to say get this one or that one. but for me if i was thinking home defense go that way, gives you room for error. it takes alot to take another mans life that you'd have to live if it came down to it. you got alot of gun nuts on this board and prefererances vary. just don't go cheap or single shot because if you do then you have a bat if you miss. defender would be my choice as you have plenty of extra to use it to sounds if you miss benelli is also a goood home defender if needed. so depending on safety and amount you want to spend should help you in you choice. good luck and hope you don't only have to use it without taking another persons life.