light weight racing wheels ?

rastaz

aka 80's Rob
Right now in race trim I'm running my slicks on 15x8 steel wheels (50lbs each) and 15x7 prostars with 235's on the front. What kind of ET reduction or mph increase can I expect by switching to some super light racing wheels with skinnies up front?

wheel weight

that wonderful, unique, make-shift magazine Car Craft did a test on just what you're talking about here. the difference, as Intercooler points out, would be very little.

the idea here is the "total package". obviously, if you're trying to make your car lighter do several things together and you'll notice a BIG difference! changing the wheels is the first step but then you might want to get a FG hood or trunk lid. IF you still want to look into this, shoot me an e-mail as I can point you in the right direction with wheel choices. HTH...

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
(315)298-1000
jcofolla@twcny.rr.com
We MEET or BEAT any tire/wheel price!
**for Turbobuick members only**
->Nitto & BF Goodrich drag radial authorized dealer.
->M/T, Hoosier & Phoenix slick dealer.
->Weld wheel authorized dealer!
->American Racing authorized wheel dealer!
->Demon Carb authorized dealer.
->NOS/NX nitrous systems authorized dealer.
->ATI Procharger authorized dealer

I swapped T-type wheels and my street tires (43 lbs each) for weld skinnys and MT 26" frontrunners probably lightening the front of the car by 30lbs+. My best mph for the day went from 117.55 to 118.31, so almost a mph, but and maybe a .1.

275/60 BFGDR's on T-type wheels weigh about 48 lbs each but they mph better than anything I've ever used. Welds and ET streets in back would probably save another 30lbs, but I just can't see getting even a mph from that. So I say less than 2 mph absolute best case and maybe .1 to .15 reduction.

Thanks guys, I was hoping they were worth a little more but they may be enough to help get me into the 11 teens and over the 120mph mark which are my goals for this year. :)

John, I like doing things the hard way so they'll be no FG pieces for my car :D Congrats on your little boy and I will send you an e-mail if I can't figure out this wheel/tire stuff.