latest version of cal com?

N2BUICK

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
What is the lastest version of calcom?
What does it offer over the 1.97 version?
Where do you go to download it?
Have been advised to stay away from the Windows version??

TIA
Austin

The latest version of DOS C-Com is 1.405. We always recommend that you use the latest version. There are always bug fixes (mostly minor) and enhancements as newer versions are released.

C-Com WP, the windows version, is doing very well but we do receive criticism from people which is for the most part related to Windows itself. All the glitz and glam that Windows offers comes with a price.. Usually speed. An older, slower PC running C-Com WP will generally not perform as well as the DOS version on that particular PC. The nice thing about the DOS version is that you have real-time control over the PC and its ports. With Windows, everything is managed by the operating system so resources can be shared with other programs. With the DOS version, the application manages the system resources exclusively.

The standardized Windows platform allows C-Com WP to work with many different variations of PCs. This means that the more resolution the display has, the more colors that can be displayed, and the faster the clock speed will all benefit the user by having the application work properly and predictably and utilize some of the more advanced features of connectivity and the Windows user interface.

It seems to come down to the old debate of DOS vs. Windows rather than C-Com DOS vs. C-Com WP. Since we are currently shipping both versions with the ECU, the users have their choice. But the advanced features afforded by the Windows platform keeps the door open for more features and future products.

Lance

My 2 cents

The windows version gives you is a 30second log instead of 15 secs.
With that you can record your staging. Which I think is a plus.

You do have to be careful to close the windows that you open inside win C-com before you open new ones or it will run very slow.
More than 2 or 3 screens all comunicating with the ECM will bog down most systems.

On the other hand viewing 2 screens at once, like fuel and timing map at the same time is nice too.

It did take Windows C-com several tries to init my com port after the 1st install. But once it did it hasent had a problem since.

For older laptops with DOS, win95 and 98 the DOS version of c-com is probably a better choice.
Newer Machines with Win ME:mad:, Win 2000 and Win XP the windows version is the better choice

Re: My 2 cents

Originally posted by ADAMWE4
The windows version gives you is a 30second log instead of 15 secs.

You do have to be careful to close the windows that you open inside win C-com before you open new ones or it will run very slow.
More than 2 or 3 screens all comunicating with the ECM will bog down most systems.

Actually the DOS version can be configured to log more than 15 seconds at the expense of resolution.

With C-Com WP, you can turn off the dashboard for a particular window by right clicking on the table and then selecting "Hide Dashboard". If you have multiple windows open, you do not need to have a dash displayed for each window if one of the opwen windows has the information you need. You could also configure each window to use the same dashboard. The issue of sensor update speed comes up when you have more than 14 unique sensors being displayed simultaneously. This causes C-Com WP to resort to a slower communication scheme that was designed to be more comprehensive instead of more efficient. Also, Windows seems to have some internal latency when reading from the com port that I'm fairly certain is related to the Windows com port driver. I haven't tested it yet but perhaps an aftermarket com port driver would speed things up a bit.

Demo version?

Is there a demo version of the Windows software available anywhere? I'm considering a FAST system and wish to compare\contrast the software with the DFI GEN7 software. If anyone can point out plusses\minuses I'm also VERY interested.

Thanks!

P.S. I've looked all over the site, not found it. The Beta is no longer there, but I did pick up the DOS version. :)

Lance
Thanks for the schooling.
A USB interface could fix alot of the speed issues.

Lance,
I was looking at the C-Com WP online documentation.
I read about being able to connect online with a remote PC.
Would this feature allow the remote user to tune/view my ECM while I was driving?

Thanks,

The C-ComWP demo version is on our NEW website at http://www.fuelairspark.com/downloads/software/ . The speedproefi.com site will soon be gone, as we are no longer Speed-Pro. For those of you who are not aware, Speed-Pro Electronics was purchased by Comp Cams in April and our name has changed. All the gory details are at www.fuelairspark.com .

4C FED, as long as you can maintain an internet connection, you can have your car tuned over the remote connection. I suppose this would best be suited for some type of high-speed wireless internet connection or maybe a chassis dyno.