latest update to Fontana

cruzn57

Still plays with cars!
With the issues facing the long-term health of Auto Club Dragway at Fontana it seems that the Auto Club of Southern California is a bit more than a title sponsor for SoCal dragstrips. A restricted event schedule for the remainder of the year was recently released, intended to ensure compliance with the current maximum sound levels at Auto Club Dragway. The Dragway even had to cancel the newly dumped NHRA Unleashed series event scheduled for the track, as well as knock off the two quickest classes in PSCA and NMCA.

In November of 2010, San Bernardino County approved a revision to the sound standards that apply to the dragway, setting a new higher maximum sound level for events at Auto Club Dragway. The revised standard also allows a certain number of events to exceed that limit when Auto Club Dragway completes construction of a sound wall adjacent to the strip. Construction of the wall has been delayed once again, pending a November 7, 2011, hearing challenge to the revised standard, resulting in 2011 schedule modifications to curtail sound emanating from the track.

The suits at NHRA World Headquarters in nearby Glendora have seemingly ignored most of the sound and government issues effecting Auto Club Dragway while they concentrate on their Big Show.

It has been reported that Thomas McKernan, chief executive officer of the Automobile Club of Southern California, has stepped up with a “strong suggestion” that NHRA's Tom Compton get personally involved in the fight for one of Southern California¹s last remaining, weekly use, quarter-mile dragstrips.

Our source reports Mr. Compton will now get involved with the issues facing Auto Club Dragway, much as NHRA founder Wally Parks did repeatedly in the early 1950s.

You'd think that with the possible noise issues facing the NHRA Pomona Fairplex track in the future, the suits at NHRA would have been leading this fight from the beginning.

Politicians only listen to the common folk when they do not hear the sound of corporate campaign donations.

Big money buys politicians and local ordinances.

Maybe NHRA will get more involved when there is a threat to their racing schedule in all of So Cal.

This is where local governments dropped the ball. Like airports, there should be a decibel zone established around the raceway and no residential building allowed in that zone.

Sound travels a long ways, I live in N Tustin and we could hear the motorcycle races at Saddleback Park and can hear the boats when they have a show at Irvine Lake.

These days I think NHRA looks at California as a money pit rather than a revenue stream...so that probably has something to do with their lack of action.

These days I think NHRA looks at California as a money pit rather than a revenue stream...so that probably has something to do with their lack of action.
NHRA blows, When I was racing division 7 I was yelled at & treated like dirt. If you aren't kissing their butt & praising the organization you are out!