Just picked up the Grand National

TurboTer

Zap! Commander
As a lot of you guys know, I had a 1987 Grand National for about a year and a half until it was destroyed in a fire on September 17, 2002 (I like to simply call this tragity "9/17"). Right after that, I was broke and I bought my old 1989 Mustang GT back for $3,000 from my friend (who let me do payments). I realized how much Mustangs were not me, so last month I found a guy with a 1985 GN (I know, hotair, but this is in good shape) who likes Mustangs better than GN's. I gave him my Mustang, plus $2,000 in cash. We worked out a deal, and last night I picked it up. I'm really happy with it, and I see how much happier I am with a GN. This car, while definatly not as fast as my old GN (with the few mods listed in my sig, it probably does at best low 15's or high 14's), it is in much better shape. It's got a freshly rebuilt engine and tranny and has 1987 rims and a full 1987 interior. Best of all, it is a hardtop. I plan on tuning it up right away, and heavily modding it by the Summer. I'm so excited right now. It's 6:22 in the morning and I already want to go outside and check it out. I feel like a little boy again on Christmas...:)

Re: Re: Just picked up the Grand National

Originally posted by lyonsd
Cool! Was it heavy?

:)

Congratulations Turbo Ter. Glad you found a replacement. When I saw the pics of your old GN I even felt your pain.

Originally posted by G-Force
Terrence, glad to hear you got another. Start saving a 86-87 motor. Good Luck.

I dunno, it seems to be too much of a process. The first thing I want to do is change the ECM and add an electric fan. After that, a Scanmaster, dual exhaust, 3" (if I can find one for hotair) downpipe, 275's, Walbro 340 with hotwire, adj. fuel pressure regulator, adj. wastegate, and a full tune-up. That should get me into the, well, I dunno, since I'm unfamilar with hotairs. :) But I'm hoping it should be in the 13's by then. After that, I would like to add an intercooler, bigger turbo, bigger injectors with chip, and a stall convertor. I'm sure with that combo I should be in the 12's (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Read though all the old posts in the hotair forum there is alot of info on there. Cant wait to get mine going

Originally posted by TurboTer
and a full 1987 interior.
Actually, 85-87 interiors were the same
Originally posted by TurboTer
3" (if I can find one for hotair) downpipe
Lee Thompson made some a little bit ago, an Keith Mease is making em now too.

Originally posted by BlackBuick84
Actually, 85-87 interiors were the same

Lee Thompson made some a little bit ago, an Keith Mease is making em now too.

1985 interiors were the same as the 86/87's? I didn't know that. I thought that they were the same as the 1984's interior (which I actually like a lot).

Didn't Lee Thompson only make a few of those 3" hotair downpipes? As for Keith's 3" pipe (oh, that sounds perverted!), it's still in production at this point, right?

hey ter bring your ride by the mobil station ....love to check it out...if u see a gn parked there, then im there...;)

Originally posted by bar87
hey ter bring your ride by the mobil station ....love to check it out...if u see a gn parked there, then im there...;)

Will do. When are ya working again?

mon-fri mostly mornings, occasionally afternoon...youll know im there if the gn is there;)

Hey congrats on the new car, the hot airs are more finicky than the intercooled cars it seems like( maybe thats because ours has 285,000 miles on the car), but they are just as suseptible to mods, and with the mods you listed and a good tune, i'd say it could pull of a 13. Any GN exhaust should fit the 85 as well, so there is no trouble finding that. Good luck with it.