interchangeable cat and TPipe

grw

I have the 2.5 tpipe w/no dump that came with hooker cat back system. I want to be able to interchange it with my cat just using bolts. So I think I need;

-ONE 2.5" flange that will fit the stock downpipe.
-TWO Mate flanges (one for 2.5 cat and other for 2.5 tp) that will bolt up to flange on the dp.
-Bots
-Gaskets

My Cat and TP already have the 4 bolt flange that hook up the Y pipe on the hooker cat back system.
Does this seem right- have I overlooked any details that would blow this plan out of the water? If so can anyone suggest one vendor that would have all? Thanks much

Gary, Your should be able to swap out your test pipe with the cat by removing the 4 bolts and the clamp on the slip joint in the front.

Mine usually requires a big f-ing hammer to get it off. :)

Hey Dan. Hows the winter treating you?
My cat is welded to the downpipe. I think I am going to scratch the idea I posted and instead try and use a dremel tool to grind off the weld so I can go back to the "stock" idea of slipping the cat or test pipe on and off then use a cclamp only.
Talk to you soon.
Gary

For best results....

Do not use a "normal" exhaust clamp that crimps the pipe. This is the reason it is very difficult to take apart. I suggest getting the wide band style clamp that doesn't crimp the pipes. They are available from Johns Performance in Lake Stevens.

Thanks for info. Any internet links that show this item or better yet sell this item?
Thanks much
Gary

Gary -- Summit, Jeg's, and JCWhitney all sell the band clamps in question. I think they're made by Walker. Search for "exhaust band clamp" and you should find them. Maybe Dan can get them at Baxter???

You can also try here. http://www.torcausa.com/ Click on [products].

I'm gonna do the same thing to my car eventually. HTH.

Thanks Rhett. After TT last year I figure I better get that Cat off so I can run c16 and turn the boost up.
Regarding your signature----Dont think you can claim that title, while I have blue top injectors I have stock Turbo, DP, IC, Cat and no adjustable wastegate.
Maybe I should make my signature-
"Only TR the NorthWest that has not turned the boost up!"
Dave is coming over tomorrow to help me do just that via Bill Chapman machined part + add an RJC Powerplate. How are things with you?

Gary Gary Gary (sighs)

Just lay down the credit card and have a nice shiny Terry Houston pipe mailed to your door. It's the only way to fly, and it will win you some more show tropies too!

Either way, it's C-16, big boost, and 12's for you pretty soon. :cool:

Powder

Welcome to the board. :)

I've been toying with the idea of lowering my GN just enough to give it a meaner stance and putting 17" rims on it. I would love to see a picture of your car.

Any regrets after going 2" lower? Do you have major problems with your 17" hooking up?

Thanks
Frank

Regarding your question on lowering and the effects, I used belltech spindles and 700lb front springs, so it is one stiff mother! For a sunshine car, its perfectly acceptable and I like the feel in the corners. This car is WIP right now and I don't have any test results except a few short runs around the block. I'll try to get some pictures before the motor comes out for timing gear, valve springs and oil hemorrhaging. Hope to meet some of you guys this year.

MLH

Powder

Thanks for the reply:)

In June most of us will be headed to Turbo Thunder IV in Woodburn, Or. So, get that car put together so we can have a big showing from WA.

When you get a chance let me know when you have pictures available. I would love to get some ideas on how low to go and to see diffenent style of rims.

Where in S. Puget Sound do you live? There are a couple of other TR/TTA folks in Auburn/Renton area.

Frank