intake gasket

gn1220

Pulled the pan off last night and I don't think the rear main is leaking. I read that sometimes it is the intake leaking. How do I confirm this and how much of a pain is it to replace? TIA

To do intake gaskets? Well you have to take a decent amount of stuff apart to get it off so it is a pain. I would try to find exactly where the leak is coming from first. What are your symptoms?

Well, I just put the Buick back together. I thought the rear main was leaking but after getting it apart, the seal, flywheel and converter were dry. It looked like the pan gasket was smashed and leaking in the front. There was a lot of oil down the back of the motor and down the tranny so I thought it might be the intake. After cleaning everything, putting RTV on the main cap and the front cover, new pan gasket tourqued correctly and more cleaning, I think the oil was leaking out of the junk Kirban fill tube and down the valve cover. I replaced the tube with a new cap from Buick. I think it came from an 85-88 Park Ave. Looks factory and seals tight. So far.

Valve cover gaskets will also act like a intake leak or a main leak. De grease the whole motor and check it thoroughly.
Good Luck