Infinity Kappa 6x9s Too big! Top Mount?

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
I have a set of 6x9 Infinity Kappas which I WILL get in the rear. Well the 4x10-6x9 adapter from Best Buy is fine, but the magnets on my speakers are too big! IT hits the trunk bar. I would like to top mount em, sure I gotta cut some metal but thats all tin foil practically. It came with nice screens too so I'd like to show em. Anyone ever done this? Or should I just remove that bar?

Scott:confused:

There is not enough room to top mount it. You probally have to modify it to get the magnet above the bars. And DONT remove the torsion bars for the trunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just out of curiousity, why cant I remove the torsion bars? Secondly, If I need to modify it, anyone got any suggestions?

Scott

Originally posted by Scott4DMny
Just out of curiousity, why cant I remove the torsion bars? Secondly, If I need to modify it, anyone got any suggestions?

Scott

the torsion bars is what hold the trunk up i think the trunk is about 30 lbs

I have no problem as I really am never in the trunk. So other than holding the trunk up, does it serve a purpose? If not, OUT IT GOES!

Scott

The best thing to do is to get rid of the torsion bars and install 2 of the hood shocks on the trunk.

Audiowizard, should chime in and explain how to do, as I've never done it.

Thanks for the plug Got Boost :cool: . I had to mig weld brackets to my trunk hinges and floor and I used to factory hood shocks between trunk hinges and floo brackets and it works so good that you have to pull on trunk lid with some "UMPH" to close. I also mashined some bolts with "C" clevices that pin the shocks top and bottom. For looks I smoothed down the welds and painted hinges to look like a factory installed item.

Other than holding the trunk up, do the torsion bars do anything else? Like maybe align the trunk to close? How do I remove them the easiest. I am not worried about holding it up. My car is not for show in the trunk area. And secondly, being that it wont stay up, thieves would have to take a little longer to get that equipment out.:D

Scott

Audiowizard, for the nice plug I think that you could come down to DFW to do my trunk;)

BTW, with your sub ports, what rear speakers do you use?

prob no rear spkrs i would imagine.....they throw off the front image.....but hey he might be one the "rear-fill" lovers. ;) lol

scott, see my post on your other question related to this. My solution did not require removing anything. BTW, my Kappa 6x9s did touch the torsion bars just a little, so I glued some soft foam from those touch up paint sponges you can buy at Walmart so the magnets wouldn't chatter against the torsion bars. Trunk goes up and down, no chattering, and the speakers sound great back there. Good luck, brudda.