IMPALA SS alternator

y-hate

Gone In Sixty
I have a 96 Impala SS and by looking at the alternator it might fit on my 87 buick, is there anyone running one on there buick:confused:, if not i guess i can find out one weekend

I've seen discussion about the '95-96 Impala alternators & they will fit if you reclock them to put the plug on top. They are 140amp to boot.:) Should work fine. HTH

John, I'm not certain they are identical. Maybe Ed or Steve can comment. I just hear they work if you reclock them.

I bought(suppose to be) a replacement alternator from advance auto, how can i check the amp rating? i`m running a black magic fan and a trans cooler w/fan both stays on until the car is shut off and alot of gauges..will the bigger SS alternator raise the volts on my car?

See this link...

http://www.turbobuicks.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000013.html

It mentions the fact that there is in fact some amperage drop between the alt. & the battery. Maybe replacing the wire in between helps eliminate this. I don't know exactly how to check the amperage myself...maybe someone else can explain. With regard to determining the amps of the one you have, you should be able to ask whomever you bought it from. HTH:)

Thanks for the info, I will replace the alt. wire with a 4gauge and if that helps i will get a impala alt. later for more juice

Usually on the alternator case somewhere is a number and a serial number.

Somewhere it should say 120A or 140A for the SS one on the case. May be part of the serial number as well like at the end of it.

Check it out. The Pro Start aftermarket one is 120A.

140A will not raise the volts from a 120A one until you start drawing over 120A from the stocker.

Not worth looking into replacing it until the stocker dies in MHO.

John, the four bolts that hold the case together look like they are on the same diameter circle, but the case bulges noticeable more between them :). You do lose the hole in the rear for the brace that goes to the exhaust stud. I'm pretty sure it just plugs right in, without even reclocking. I think any LT1 got the 140 A alternator - go to www.acdelco.com and find the alt for as SS, then do a reverse search on that number to see what other cars used the same one.

Thanks, Carl. I got some 120 amp off some front drive caddies. You have to re-clock those and they have a boss in the back where that bracket would bolt in. I have drilled and tapped that boss for use on my TType. I wonder if the chevy alternator has the same provision.